Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need temp alarm for overnight cooks - suggestions?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I really need to get one of those temp alarms - can someone suggest a brand and website?
Cooking two butts (8.5 & 7 lbs) for friends today, so I put them on last at 7:00pm with the anticipation of having them ready this afternoon. Being the nervous butt Dad that I am, I didn't go to bed till 1:30 making sure the fire was stable for the night. Well, not having a thermo with alarm, I cracked the daisy wheel about an 1/8" more than it was and stoked the charcoal (I use a metal shish-kabob skewer) just before I went to bed so it wouldn't loose temp during the night. On past occasions with overnight cooks, I've had the egg fall to 160's, and I've had it get too hot, and I've been lucky and had it stay stable through the night.
Last night, I was holding 200 up until I went to bed and when I got up at 5:20 this morning (after time change), the dome thermo said 275 and the drip pan was black and smoldering. Darn it!! I pulled the butts off and checked the internal temp - they were at 205, so I wrapped in foil and put them in a cooler with towels. I was figuring 18-20 hours at the 200-220 range and instead wound up with them ready in 12 hours. I just pulled one of them and it tastes just fine - the wife gave me the presidential approval to serve it to our friends.
How do you guys reheat your pulled pork?
Would you mix some BBQ sauce in before reheating? (I'm not much of a fan of the vinegar sauce).[p]Thanks again to all of you who posted the pictures for the Atlanta Eggfest - I had a blast there.

Comments

• JeffDuluth,
    If you just want to know when your meat has reached your desired temperature overnight while your sleeping get yourself one of those nifty digital meat thermometers / timers set your done temperature and place a baby monitor transmitter next to your digital thermometer by your BGE and when the temperature reaches your done set point the baby monitor will pick up the alarm from the thermometer and transmitt it to the receiver next to your bed. Either that or set your alarm clock to wake you up every two hours and take turns minding the shop with the wife.

• Mark from Utah
    Options
    JeffDuluth,
    Next to the BGE, the best thing I ever bougt for bbq is the bbq guru. It takes about 5 minutes to set up and ever since I bought mine I have not had a fire go out, become too hot or too low. If you haven't already, take a look at it. The site is listed below. Mark from Utah[p]http://www.thebbqguru.com/

• JeffDuluth,
    You are raising several issues...First, no problem reheating with or without the egg going (I use the oven or the microwave, but doing it in the egg would provide some ambiance. I bow to the masters as to what temp they reheat at. If you go back to a thread titled "ugly confession" you will see that I fried up some tastey stuff that was a year and a half old (frozen below zero and vacuum packed) but not to be outdone the very brave ate some from 1999! I would never serve this to company, but up to a year is probably quite fine and later in the day, still as good as when first done. Doesn't seem to need heating in sauce, but you could. We have a remote control thermometer (don't need the baby alarm, but that is an ingenious use of one that you don't need anymore) but truly if you treasure your sleep bbqguru sounds like the way to go. I was just stopping by the forum before I ordered one myself--a birthday present for Vic (really for me--I'm the one who wakes up every two hours to check on a cook anyway )
    KK
    PS I was born in Duluth, but am a Massachussets native now...

• MR H
    MR H Posts: 109
    Options
    JeffDuluth,
    Buy a BBQ Guru. I purchased one when they first came out .
    Set it and enjoy your sleep.[p]Howard in Bartow