Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanks Webmasters

Options
WessB
WessB Posts: 6,937
edited November -1 in Forum Feedback
Subtle but noticable to those looking, was enough to make me want to post again...Thanks..

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    B)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• WessB
    Options
    Where's that "Tip jar" I heard mention of....some well deserved donations could do wonders for the progress of the forum....Thank You...
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    I know there's no way to please everyone...(especially if they don't want to be)...but I for one am very pleased!

I think all in all..it's a better place, when it, and we...are all above board!!

Thanks again you two!!

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • yeah.

who needed zippy anyway :laugh:
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    guess thats the end of old dave / dipstick as well.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • i honestly have no idea why people think it is ANONYMOUS posts that are the problem.

it's abusive posts.

ah well. i guess i'm just too stupid to understand.
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    I've been on the fence on this issue for a long time seeing and understanding both sides of the argument, but old dave, dipstick and the others can register just like the rest of us.

This ultimately came down to the needs, welfare and benefit of the many outweighing those of the few. It's really a shame and a black eye for all of us that it had to come to this, but this forum has been in a state of torment and discord for six months with no end in sight. It was time for the webmasters to take a hard stance. I compliment them on making what I'm sure was a difficult decision.

Mark
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    took me about 6 months for the registration to take, was magic when one day i turned the puter on and i was, dont know why or how or why i was locked out.;) olddave was never able to register :ermm: so he will be missed even more. registering here has always been problematic since the last format change
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    J, no one is disagreeing with you, but they(WPB, WMK and the other powers that be) have made it crystal clear that adding moderators from within our ranks was a step they were/are not willing to take. This is something that would've been necessary to attack the problem from your viewpoint. I'm guessing that they took the approach that eliminating anonymous posts versus addding moderators was the lesser of two evils in their eyes. Unfortunately, and as you've conceded on many occasions, it's not a democracy and we don't get a vote.

WW
  • well. i had heard an option to the "deputy" thing. a simple feature similar to reporting an offensive post, but one that happened more quickly.

the ultimate issue is eyes-on-the-forum.

wpb and wmk and a semi-secret 'other' have mod powers.

if they could be informed more quickly about an offending post, and take it down, that would answer the problem.

in fact, that would deputize everyone. shoot a notice or feed or something to the webmasters. because they aren't here at 1am on a saturday.

i don't know. seems like they threw out the baby with the bathwater.

scroo it.

by the way, was that you the other night? hahaha
  • more attentive moderating would have been fine...

it's a thankless task, i know.
    i understand.

i think at the very least, the people who were posting the other night anonymously, attacking wess, ought to have their pants pulled down. they were the ones that sent this over the edge. i say sh!tcan them
  • that's my point, it was the abusers that got the entire thing removed.

tail wagging the dog.

(by the way, if you want to email me, feel free to do so outside the forum "email user" interface. you have my "real" email address i'm sure. i would have no problem talking to you offline, but i don't think you will be comfortable with my condition. which is that you use your real name and email. it can't be one-sided)
  • WessB
    Options
    Zippy is registered...but you already knew that....
  • milesofsmiles
    milesofsmiles Posts: 1,377
    Options
    Am I to understand that Zippy has been band??? Miles
  • i got a link to a post that was already archived by the time i got there.

i would have replied, but i know your email is probably a fake account, where as mine is my day-to-day.
  • not when he's sitting on a bench outside the courtroom and trying to log in on a blackberry.

anonymous posts were never the problem. there were as many abusive posts that evening from registered members. therefore, i guess banning registered posting is also a good idea?

no, it isn't.
  • i'm obviously too stupid to understand the magical logic behind all this, so i won't bother offering my simplistic opinion. doesn't add anything to the mix.

i'll just say i was told there was another option in addition to banning anons and helper-mods. but it seems they decided against it in favor of the nuclear option
  • WessB
    Options
    I don't believe so..
  • milesofsmiles
    Options
    Thanks Wess, I'am cool for now. Or not.Miles.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Zippylip is a registered user. He has NOT been banned. He should be able to login, view, and post to the forum just fine from his Blackberry.

How do I know this?... Because I am replying to this post...from MY Blackberry.

Q.E.D.
  • didn't say he was banned.

i just know he often needed to post as "zip-lurk". i imagined it maybe a blackberry issue.

i'm not going to diagnose his issue. i just know he posted harmlessly as an anonymous user.

anons aren't (i guess it's now "weren't") the issue. abuse was.

that's fine. at least a decision was made one way or the other. the back-and-forth was getting to be a bit much
  • milesofsmiles
    Options
    Thanks, I'am totaly chilled out now. :):):) Ronnie.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Anonymous posts did have issues... I certainly would not say they were totally innocuous... this weekend proved that.

We're aware of the need for a forum member to, occasionally (most likely for technical reasons) to have to post as a "guest".

We're also aware that there may be some, for example those thinking about purchasing an egg, that might just want to ask a quick question.

So there certainly are situations where "guest" posting would be appropriate and/or neccessary. Unfortunately, when put on the scale, vis-a-vis the potential for abuse, the current draconian measures won out for the time being.

We're considering additional techniques for the ultimate solution.
  • not ALL anonymous posts were the issue. but all anonymous posts were banned. that is my sole point.

the easiest way to remove the percentage of abusive posts is to ban all anonymous posts. that relieves you or any other moderator from having to remove individual posts. but it has a downside

the situation that existed this weekend was no different from what has happened scores of times before. we have always had some anonymous people who were ALSO abusive.

because a subset of posters were abusive, all are punished. as i said before, if the same logic were applied to registered users, then registered users would also be banned. obviously that is a stupid conclusion. but it illustrates my point.

i have tried to explain it a million different ways. i am convinced i'm an idiot, because i am unable to get the point across. i apologize.

'abusive+anonymous' does not equal 'anonymous'
  • Chubby
    Options
    Geeeeezus!!!

Put down the sock Stike!!

With due resepect...how many days ago do you think it was that your continual regurgetation
    of your well know viewpoint became..,(well, let's just say less than welcome,or instructive) to the Mods?

I've always known you to be "reasonably...reasonable"! So...In their shoes?

The amount of posts (by you) on, (or in reply to) this topic lately...border on the ridiculous!!

No sh*t behind!!!

:whistle:

It's not fair to pad your post count...all on the same subject!! I'm sure there's a rule on that somewhere..lmao!!!

:P

Just know...I'm here to help get you back to 14,000!!!

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • sorry chubby. had no idea how much i had been pissing you and everyone else off with trying to suggest something that might help this place. better to just hit the small problem with a massive hammer. typical forum way, isn't it?

when someone repeats back what i said as though they missed the point, i stupidly think they missed the point. silly me. so it kinda makes me think i was unclear.

i suppose i should have understood it as passive aggression, and realized they didn't have the fortitude to tell me "yeah, we got it, now shut up".

at least you finally had the balls to say it.

wish you might have said it earlier.

you make a good point, perhaps i explain too much.
    new leaf turned, thanks for the prodding.
  • Chubby
    Options
    How about I give you a "Bonus 10" on your post count.., just for that one!!!

:woohoo:

Oh...and thanks for playing!!

;)
  • WessB
    Options
    Jeff, I wont argue your opinion or your right to have it...but in reality I don't fully understand it..and am by no means asking for you to explain it....I got no issues with you personally at all...my logic stems from the fact that I am a member of many unrelated forums....ie. weather stations, homebrew, and a couple other food related forums....every single one of them are "register to post" I just don't understand why anyone would be opposed to registering to post on a forum that they obviously sought out from an interest in the subject of the forum...further more..the majority of the above mentioned forums also include posters IP in every post..which I also think is a good thing.....it all boils down to accountability..IMO...
  • WessB
    Options
    Well thats certainly clear as mud now...what does number of views have to with the point being discussed????
  • WessB
    Options
    LMAO...you're right...I'm retired....