Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken questions

drbrjb01
drbrjb01 Posts: 39
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
so i don't have a thermometer...can someon give me a guideline on how long at what temp for full chicken legs...also direct or indirect? thanks

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

You will find much better results if you will cook to temperature.

I cook direct on a raised grid lump loaded to just above the vent holes in the fire box.

500° about 50 minutes.
    chick500.jpg

400° very close to 1 hour
    chick400.jpg

350° about 1 hr 20 minutes.
    chickspud2.jpg

Did I say cook to temperature.

No matter the cook temperature if I cook the breast to 165° it always comes out like this
    chicken3.jpg

GG
  • drbrjb01
    right, so is that the same for legs and thighs?
  • Kent, those look quite tasty!! I have never tried cooking a whole chicken direct, always indirect w/drip pan. I am going to give this a try tomorrow.
    Thanks
  • Grandpas Grub

USDA now says 165° for the entire chicken & turkey.

Legs and thighs will taste great from 165° to 200° internal. For me the breasts will get dry about 175° and if that happens I will add flavor smoke to the lump and cook the breasts to 195° - 200°. They will be a little less moist but will have a wonderful old time BBQ flavor. Two different textures and taste. I like cooking chicken breasts to both temperatures - the legs and thighs just go along for the ride and are always good.

You will find your cooking will go from good to great if you will cook the food to temperature. It took a while for folks to pound that into my head.

GG
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    You can go direct or indirect. Cook until juices run clear when skin is pierced...probably close to an hour. PLEASE get a thermometer, especially for use with chicken!! :( You can buy a fairly decent "instant read" for about $12 at Wally World or Target. I have always found the brand Taylor reliable. (not as fast as a thermapen, but really, you really need a thermometer! )
    (I am assuming these are leg/thigh quarters? If just legs alone, they should be done in about 40 minutes, assuming cooking at a temp of 400*)
  • Grandpas Grub

Unless I am cooking a chicken over a veggie tray, potatoes, onions and maybe some sausage, I don't cook chicken indirect any more.

I try to keep a good distance between the bird and the lump and load the lump just past the air vents in the fire box and the chicken on and Adjustable Rig. I would expect the chicken will turn out just as well with a lower lump bed level and cooking at fire ring level.

This is a 225° chicken cook.
    chicken1.jpg

Breasts were at 165°and this is the breast when but after a 15 minute rest.

chicken2.jpg

The picture I used above.
    chicken3.jpg

400° dome is a good safe cooking temperature for a whole bird. You will enjoy the results.

Kent
  • drbrjb01
    thanks...i think i will get a good thermometer then...also, i am pretty new to this, how do i get a raised grid?
  • Thanks again. I do have the adjustable rig and will give it go tomorrow. It looks great.
  • If you plan to cook A LOT, invest in a Thermapen.
  • Grandpas Grub

If you want to save some money check Little Chef's post below on the thermometer suggestion.

GG
  • Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    That looks good Kent!
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    drbrjb01, You asked how to get a raised grid and there are many ways to do it. If you have two grids you can put three bricks on one grid then add the second grid. You can get a grid extender the your dealer or a second grid. You can get carriage bolts about 4 1/2 long and washers and nuts.

Here if you have two grids but if you don't have two go out to Lowe's and get one for a weber keep in mind if you have a large egg you have an 18 inch grid.

000_1186.jpg
  • drbrjb01
    thanks a bunch...i think i am going to make one tonight