Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Practice Turkey

Options
FatDog
FatDog Posts: 164
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Greetings, All ...[p]I had purchased a couple of turkeys late last year at Sam's for a ridiculously low price (like $3 and change for a 21 pounder). Since I am still relatively new at the whole egg thing (a year this month) I decided to use one of my frozen birds for a practice cook for Thanksgiving. I loaded the gobbler with halved apples, quartered onions, and a few sprigs of fresh rosemary. Popped Tom into the egg at 325 degrees over some apple chunks and cooked until the breast read 180 degrees. I think I should have read the legs instead as they are a bit overdone - but - overall, it is a wonderful bird. I'll be eating some great turkey sandwiches for lunch this week. What joy there will be torturing my students and fellow teachers with good food!!![p]Doc

Comments

• Steve-B
    Steve-B Posts: 339
    Options
    FatDog,
    I did that also after Easter this year. I got 2 full turkeys and 2 full breasts. I am down to one turkey now. I wouldn't take the internal in the breast to 180°, but rather 170°. The dark meat does need to get to 180° though. I had good luck on my first whole turkey by placing the legs toward the back. The two numbers both hit about at the same time. [p]I know some here might say that even 170° is too high, but that where the texture is right for me. I did one to a lower temp and it was too moist. It had a great taste, but didn't look are feel quite right. [p]Steve-B

• FatDog
    FatDog Posts: 164
    Options
    Steve-B,
    I carved the bird after giving it about a 15 minute rest and it is very good. I am surprised (pleasantly) at how moist the meat is. Even the legs that I thought were a bit over-done were excellent. [p]I had been talking with my mom while I was cooking and she sounded a bit interested in what I was up to. I am going to visit her tomorrow (she is 81 and I won't let her drive the 1-1/2 hours to my house) and she promised me a meat loaf. Well, I just got a call from her telling me that the hamburger she was going to use "wasn't good" and suggested that I might bring some of my turkey for lunch. I hope she likes it ... we'll for sure be having it again in about a month!

• Steve-B
    Steve-B Posts: 339
    Options
    FatDog,[p]I'm sure she will love it! I need to do my last turkey here soon to make sure it will be great on thanksgiving. Seems like I have eaten a ton of turkey lately....turkey sandwichs, turkey soup, and even shreaded turkey burritos. [p]One of the best things about the egg is even overdone food is better than most anything else. [p]Steve-B
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    FatDog,
    foolproof trick to getting breast and thighs done at the same time. . .20 minutes before putting the bird in the egg, take a gallon plastic bag, fill it with ice cubes, and lay it on top of the breasts for the 20 minutes. ..remove when you put the bird in the egg. . . this will lower the temp of the breasts sufficiently, that by the time the bird is done roasting the temps will have caught up to each other. . .[p]trust me, this works beautifully. . .i had tried every trick in the book prior to learninng this one, and i've been doing this now for 6 or 7 years. . .