Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dish vs Direct TV & mobile antenna?

Susan Egglaine
Susan Egglaine Posts: 2,437
edited November -1 in Off Topic
I have had direct TV a long time but dish looks a whole lot cheaper. I am under contract with direct for another year because of the new receiver I got for the egg nest but it would still be cheaper in the long run. Is dish service o.k.? Has anyone ever gotten a mobile antenna? Are they easy to set-up? Got some camping trips coming up. THANKS!
I watch local,food TV & sports, no movies or any special channels

Comments

• milesofsmiles
    milesofsmiles Posts: 1,377
    Susan, My sil dumped Dish for DTV. better selection. As for mobile????? don't know. I also use DTV. and have for 15 yrs. :):) Live way out beyond cable.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Dish is cheaper for a few months, then you will want to start adding services and they charge for adds, plus the monthly expense.

They don't have near the channels that DTV has.

Mobile wise DTV is just a matter of getting another dish and taking your receiver with you..
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Something most people are unaware of...if you tell a new provider you'ld like to get their service, but are under contract, they will usually pay the penalty for you if you join with them. Verizon does it all the time ;)
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    I had Dish for one year and one day. They got me with the promise of having my locals through the satellite. Unfortunately every time it came time to upgrade the service there was some hitch. (Cable company didn't sign off, their cat just had puppies, the stars weren't aligned just right)

Then I was contaced by DirecTV. No waiting on locals, as it was part of the package I wanted. Made the switch 9 years ago and haven't wanted for anything else.

On a side note, I passed on their intenet package (HughesNet I think). Right after hurricane Katrina I couldn't get online due to down phone lines, and checked into it. Extremely expensive quote from the sales rep I spoke to.
  • I have Dish network and like it for the most part...the problem is everytime there is a hard rain or snow storm you lose the signal. It is annoying but the only option I have available.
  • I had Dish for 10 years (yep, in a row), switched to DTV to get their home DVR service at the begining of summer. The ONLY thing I like about DirectTV is the ability I have for all of my DVRs to share their recordings with each other. Outside of that, I believe the Dish DVR was waaaay better than the DirectTV model (my opinion, yours might be different). And there might be more channels on DirectTV, but they are obscure ones that I dont care or know about. I am waiting on Ceton technologies to finish their quad cable card tuner, and I will build my own DVR that works with my xbox 360's as extenders (just checked, looks like its ready, I need to buy it). DirectTV/Dish/cable companies all suck at making DVRs. Microsoft nailed it with their Windows Media center/xbox 360 extender setup.