Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

3rd's Pepper Beef

Options
DrZaius
DrZaius Posts: 1,481
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I decided to do ThirdEye's Pepper Beef recipe and it was outstanding. My wife and daughter said it was a little too spicy for them has asked me to use only half of the Pepperoncini next time. This recipe was AWESOME...

Here we go.

Here is the Great One lighting his faithful egg. This is my first cook using Ono charcoal. Huge chunks...

DSC07345.jpg

DSC07348.jpg

DSC07347.jpg

DSC07355.jpg

Now to get the Chuck roasts ready. We used a combination of spices for the rub...
DSC07358.jpg

DSC07359.jpg

DSC07360.jpg

DSC07361.jpg

DSC07362.jpg

Now they are ready for the egg along with some hickory chunks. Setup on a raised grid at 230...
DSC07367.jpg

DSC07369.jpg

DSC07370.jpg

DSC07371.jpg

For about an hour to get them to internal 140...
DSC07374.jpg

DSC07375.jpg

Now we are mixing up the Braising sauce in a DO...
DSC07376.jpg

DSC07377.jpg

DSC07379.jpg

DSC07382.jpg

Now for some grate adjustment for the DO and then bring the heat up to 300 for another couple of hours...
DSC07384.jpg

DSC07388.jpg

Done with the DO...
DSC07390.jpg

DSC07391.jpg

DSC07392.jpg

We have pulled the roast out removed excess fat and chunk-ed the meat a placed back into the DO...
DSC07393.jpg

Now stir in Egg Noodles and serve...
DSC07395.jpg

DSC07396.jpg

DSC07400.jpg

The meal was really good. My wife and daughter both loved the taste but it was just a little hot for them. This was my first experience with a smoked beef roast on the egg and I must say that it was extremely good. Thanks to Thirdeye for a great recipe. Check out his site at...

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/

I can not wait to smoke some more roasts.
This is the greatest signature EVAR!

Comments

• Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Options
    Man that looks good, and an excellent post and photo's as well. :)
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    hey doug!!

that looks great!! when we made it out camping i used the mount olive banana peppers (i can not tell what you used bree's hand is in the way :ohmy: ). they have made it possible for my wife to eat it. i also added a sliced onion when i put everything in the dutch oven..

oh yea tell bree she has something black on her fingernails :silly:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• DrZaius
    Options
    BENTE wrote:
    hey doug!!

that looks great!! when we made it out camping i used the mount olive banana peppers (i can not tell what you used bree's hand is in the way :ohmy: ). they have made it possible for my wife to eat it. i also added a sliced onion when i put everything in the dutch oven..

oh yea tell bree she has something black on her fingernails :silly:

The banana peppers is a great idea. I stuck with 3rds recipe and used pepperoncini.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Man, I gotta try that! Great pics!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Lookin GOOD! I LOVE the egged roasts!
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    they have the hot and the mild..i use the hot but dont tell my wife. i think the vinager is a really important ingrediet.. plus with those banana peppers you dont have to worry about the seeds. i used those greek peprochini's and hated having to take all those seeds out of the pepers :angry: so that is the real reason i use banana peppers ;)

did you use one of your beers in it? i usually use "The champagne of beer"

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• DrZaius
    Options
    BENTE wrote:
    they have the hot and the mild..i use the hot but dont tell my wife. i think the vinager is a really important ingrediet.. plus with those banana peppers you dont have to worry about the seeds. i used those greek peprochini's and hated having to take all those seeds out of the pepers :angry: so that is the real reason i use banana peppers ;)

did you use one of your beers in it? i usually use "The champagne of beer"

There was not any seeds in the jar that we bought. Weird!
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    great cook, fun to get the family involved. might try some brown sugar to soften the heat if doing leftovers......nice use of the rig too. t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Dayum Doc, that sure looks awesome!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Great looking cook Doug..I made this about a week after our spring camping trip and we loved it... ;)

Thankes 3rd Eye & T Bente...great recipe.
  • tsheehan7
    tsheehan7 Posts: 105
    Options
    This month's issue of Cook's Illustrated tests 20 different beef stocks available in the supermarket. Their winner was Rachel Ray's beef stock followed by College Inn.

They're both priced at the top of the bunch, but apparently very well worth it for a true beef flavor.
  • DrZaius
    Options
    tsheehan7 wrote:
    This month's issue of Cook's Illustrated tests 20 different beef stocks available in the supermarket. Their winner was Rachel Ray's beef stock followed by College Inn.

They're both priced at the top of the bunch, but apparently very well worth it for a true beef flavor.

I am not the biggest Ray fan so I probably wont buy hers but I check out College Inn. BTW the swanson is pretty good.