Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pumpkin Seeds on the Egg?

Options
Eggsellent
Eggsellent Posts: 160
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone ever made pumpkin seeds on the egg? I saw a lot of almonds at Eggtoberfest so I'm thinking someone out there has tried it. If so, how'd you do it? We're carving our pumpkin today and I'd love to make some seeds on the egg.

Comments

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Eggsellent,[p]BBQ Bob, from BBQ Guru company made some at Eggtoberfest. I think he used some "Raging River" rub from Dizzy Pig BBQ (our own Nature Boy). They were great. I think he roasted them on foil (or aluminum tray) on a pizza stone at 350 or 400 degrees.
  • FlaBQ
    FlaBQ Posts: 12
    Options
    Eggsellent,
    I just did some and they came out great. Here's what I did:
    Rinse them well in a colander to get as much of the slime off as you can. Then spread them in one layer on a baking sheet.
    Melt a tablespoon or two of butter, and add about a teaspoon or two of Worcestershire sauce to the butter, then pour it over the seeds. Sprinkle whatever seasoning you like over them (garlic salt, onion salt, BBQ rub, etc.). Mix them all together with your hands to coat and then cook indirect at 300 degrees for about 50 minutes until they're golden brown and crisp.[p]Yummy!

• Steve-B
    Steve-B Posts: 339
    Options
    Eggsellent,[p]I did pumpkin seeds last weekend a couple of different ways. This is the way I found to be the best. Rinse the seeds in a colander. Put the seeds in warm salty water for about 30 minutes. Drain again, but don't dry completly. Place them in a bowl and add a little sesame seed oil. Then the rub you want to use. I found DP's Jamican Firewalk to be great. Indirect on the egg at 350° for about 45-90 minutes. I placed them on a pizza screen for easy removal. We are going to carve our neibhors pumpkins tommarow so we can get the seeds.[p]Steve-B
  • Eggsellent
    Options
    Steve-B,
    I am a huge fan of sesame seed oil - so I used your recipe this time. YUMMY!!!! For those of you interested in making them - I highly recommend the following:[p]Seeds
    roughly 2 teaspoons sesame oil
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    LOTS (probably 1-2 Tablespoons) Raging River Rub[p]Cooked on a pizza pan (see pic) indirect at 300-325 for about an hour. Thanks so much! My entire family is devouring them![p]640Dsc06040.jpg