Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flank steak Merinade

Options
Bubba's dad
Bubba's dad Posts: 97
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I usually marinade my flank steak in Yoshida's and a some other spices. At a certain length of time does it ruin the meat? What is the perfect time to merinade?

Thanks

Comments

• PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    This my flank marinade. I leave it overnite. Beef takes a longer marinating time than chicken. And shrimp is only a few minutes. Plus, the more acid; the less time.
    Don't forget to score the meat in shallow diagonal slits. This gives more surface area for the marinade.
    I grill this hot direct. Doesn't take long.
    PattyO
    Flank Steak Marinade

2 C cloudy orange French dressing
    1/2 C lemon juice
    3/4 C soy sauce
    1/4 C Worcestershire sauce
    1/4 C yellow mustard
    1 clove crushed garlic or equivalent garlic pd.

Shake well. Cut very shallow X's in steak against the grain.
    Marinate meat overnight in about 1/2 C of this sauce.
    Refrigerate remaining sauce in a glass jar.
    This is a good seasoning on burgers, either in the ground meat or as a BBQ sauce.
    Also good as seasoning on leftover meat sliced thinly and sautéed.
    Good for chicken BBQ too.
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    17 minutes and 46.7 seconds.

Just kidding. But as far as ruining the meat, yeah, that can happen.

It depends. If there is a lot of acid in the marinade (lemon/lime juice, vinegars, etc), then going too long will over marinate it. I don't let it go for more than 4-8 hours for a flank steak.

But if it is like yours it should be okay for a longer time. Btw, I like Yoshidas, good stuff!
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • TheDirtyBurger
    Options
    I just did 2 2lbs in Lawry's Baja Chipotle liquid marinade. I had them sitting in a ziplock bag for about 24 hours, turning occasionally and shaking it up once in awhile. Turned out freaking amazing.

I am always one to use something store bought and is already in my pantry then to make 1 more dish in addition to the 9 others I just made or am about to make.