Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri Tip-OMG!!! (pictures)

GeorgiaBorn
GeorgiaBorn Posts: 178
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So, I was watching Man vs Food a few nights ago and my hero Adam Richman was in San Diego at a BBQ joint. The owner there is famous for his BBQ Tri-Tip. Drooling while I was watching this, set the course for my next BGE challenge.

I went to see my butcher today at Publix and asked him for a tri-Tip. For those of you that don't know, tri-tip is a cut of beef from the bottom sirloin. It is a small triangular muscle, usually 1.5 to 2.5 lbs. My butcher buddy cut me one fresh. It weighed in at 2.3lbs.

Honestly fellas (and ladies), it was the most amazing BBQ I have yet to cook on my Egg and I have done just about every BBQ imaginable. It literally melted in my mouth and from start to finish, it only took about 2.5 hours. Here's the recipe I used. I highly recommend you get a tri-tip immediately and try this.

1) Apply rub to both sides and refrigerate for several hours
2) Bring BGE to HOT (650-700)
3) Sear both sides of tri tip for 3 minutes each side
4) Remove and wrap with foil.
5) Cool BGE to 300. Add wood chips and set up for indirect cooking. I soaked my wood chips in a mixture of guava juice, yes guava juice and water for about 2 hours.
6) Put tri tip on for 30-45 minutes until internal temperature reaches 130 degrees (medium rare). I used a remote thermometer and took it off at exactly 130. I also basted about 3 times with BBQ sauce.
7) Rest for 10-15 minutes in foil
8) Slice against grain and serve

It came out a perfect medium rare and was oh so tender. The sear in the first step carmelized the rub I put on it and gave it a really nice crust. I sliced it about pencil thickness. I also added a bit more rub to it before I put it back on the Egg for the final 30 minutes. Mine came up to temp in about 30 minutes.

This is a picture of the tri-tip after removing it from the fridge.

TriTip001.jpg

This is a picture of the tri-tip after the initial 3 minute a side sear

TriTip002.jpg

This is a picture after removing it from the BGE when the internal temp was 130 degrees

TriTip003.jpg

This is a picture after slicing. Perfect medium rare.

TriTip004.jpg

Another picture of the sliced tri-tip and the rosemary garlic bread I served it with. Didn't do the bread on the Egg :(

TriTip005.jpg

Comments