Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best platesetter / pizza stone set up in XL BGE

Options
MilitantSquatter
MilitantSquatter Posts: 98
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been continually trying to maximize performance in my XL as it relates to very high heat pizza cooks (700+) with platesetter and pizza stone..

What I generally read is that the stone gets hotter than dome since heat is coming from the bottom
This seems consistent with what I've experienced, but I have not yet taken temps (just got infrared thermometer today)

The set up I've used the most is :

plate setter (legs down)
ceramic feet on plate setter
pizza stone on ceramic feet

This gets stone just above felt line and about 9-10" from top of dome.

Question 1 : If I reverse the plate setter to legs up position instead and then use a grill grate on the legs with pizza stone on top of that...

Will this cause the stone to get hotter, cooler or stay the same as my usual set up above ? Ie... would the larger gap (with plate setter now closer to the fire and further from stone) make a difference in temp of stone ?

Next option I wanted to consider was whether I had platesetter legs up or down, maybe use the BGE Grill entender to get the pizza stone even higher in the dome to even out temp if the stone will usually still be hotter.

At the end of the day, because my goal is to cook the pizzas at really high temps based on the types of pizzas I am trying to perfect, I want to try to maximize the set up to normalize the dome and stone temp as best possible...

Thoughts ?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Smokin' Stogies
    Options
    Vinnie,

I have used the method you first stated, platesetter feet down, egg feet then stone and I throw corn meal on the stone. My pizzas come out nice and brown, crusty and cooked perfect. I prefer a thinner crust (New Jersey style) so it works well. What type of Pizza are you trying to perfect? Do you have a thermometer at stone level?

Smokin'Stogies in Exton, Pa with my wife and our four dogs; Sully and Boo the Newfoundlands, Murphy the Irish Setter and Alli the Beagle/Lab mix. 

Eggers Prayer-

Our egg, which art in sizes, hallowed be thy smoke, thy will be grilled, at home as it is at eggfest. Give us this clay our daily brisket and forgive us our rubs, as we forgive those who gas grill against us, and lead us not to flashback but deliver us from overnighters. For thine is the grill, the smoke, the egg. Let's eat!

• Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    Be very careful with the XL and high heat. Check and double check the bolts holding the dome on. The bands will expand at high temps and then you have a very heavy dome being supported by loose bands.

That being said I have good results with the flip ring from the ceramic grill store, along with the plate setter it gets the stone way up in the dome.

3-7-08002.jpg
  • MilitantSquatter
    Options
    Thanks Mike...

I just posted yesterday about my concerns about heat expansion with the XL... More often than not, I find that after two openings the dome starts to shift and won't close/seat properly.. I could not tell if this was due to the bands or the other areas of the hinge.
    My bolts are tight and bent, but I'll re-tighten.

I like you're set up.. I still plan to get tjv's flip ring... I'll try the XL BGE grid extender I've got laying around first...
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Options
    I do it the way you describe with the exception of I don't use the feet but I do use 3 fire bricks. They are a little thicker hence a little higher than the felt line.
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    The grid extender should work with the same results. I use to have problems with the hinges closing during high temps and found a good spray of WD 40 or similiar on them improves function quite well. Not sure if the heat is expanding the hinges or what, but it did help.

You can tell if your bands are expanding by the feel of the handle. If it starts to rock up and down without any movement of the dome you know the band is loose.
  • MilitantSquatter
    Options
    It's almost 11PM and raining herein NY, but Mike's pic made me go to my garage and try a set up very similar to his working with what I have.

Two pics - both with BGE Grid Extender - one with legs up and one with legs down. Both take the stone to about 5" from top of inside dome next to vent opening

here's the pics..

http://s700.photobucket.com/albums/ww8/MilitantSquatter/stone/

Do you think there will be much difference in stone temp with legs up or down ?

I also re-tightened the top band bolt while I was at it :)
  • MilitantSquatter
    Options
    thanks Mike !!

see my post below for the set up pics I just took with BGE Extender..

I'll definitely try the WD-40 tip and check the handle
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Mike - Is that a crack in your platesetter?
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    If you look at my photo again you'll see I'm cooking on a stone a little larger than the LGE stone.

I would be a little worried that enough air wouldn't get above the stone. Might need another set of hands and the same tape measure. Try and replicate the distance with the dome open and holding the stone.
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    I believe it is. It's been there since I got it and hasn't presented a problem yet. I'll keep on cooking and see what happens, then use a little JB Weld until I can get another one.

Funny thing about this is the PRIMO stone which had no visable cracks in it, cracked in two, and the platesetter with the crack is still whole.
  • MilitantSquatter
    Options
    good point Mike.. thanks.

I think you're right.. I didn't think about airflow in the dome being restricted that high given that's the 20"+ BGE stone..

I just placed the order for the flip ring combo and the 16" stone...