Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

smoked salmon

jake42
jake42 Posts: 932
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Any good smoked salmon or planked salmon recipes out there?
I've done cedar planked salmon on my other grills. Just looking for a good way to do it on the Egg. Smoked or planked.
Thanks.

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    jake42,[p]
    You can do your planks on the egg same as other grills only better. A lot of people here take a maple syrup/butter mixture, melt and pour over salmon before serving.
    Someone posted a thread below that look great.[p]
    CWM

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    jake42,
    We love Gretl`s Bourbon DiJoun salmon from the submitted recipe section above...give it a try, I haven`t served it to anyone that didn`t love it..You can also see a picumentary of it on my website, in the "cooks" section...HTH[p]Wess

[ul][li]WessB`s[/ul]
  • jake42,
    try this recipe it is a family favorite..1/4 cup dried dill 1/4 cup brown sugar 2 tsp sea or kosher salt 2 tsp ground black pepper and salmon...mix dill/sugar/salt cover meat of salmon refrig for 8 hr or overnight..take out of frig 30-45 min. prior to start of cooking..bring egg up to 180-200 degrees and stablize..indirect setup..add adler chips for smoke flavor..cook for approx 65 min. 1/2 way thru cook mop with apple juice..try it you will like it..good eating...

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Here is a smoked salmon recipe using a dry rub instead of a brine.[p]fe687265.jpg[p]7a348b54.jpg[p]DRY CURE: This makes enough Dry Cure for about 10 pounds of fish:
    SMOKING TIME: Based on 3 to 4 lb. fillets

1 cup kosher salt; 2 cloves of finely chopped garlic;
    2 cups firmly packed brown sugar; 1 teaspoon ground ginger
    1 teaspoon ground white pepper; ½ teaspoon pulverized bay leaf[p]On a cutting board, sprinkle a little of the salt onto the chopped garlic, and mash to a paste with the point of a knife. In a small bowl, combine the garlic mixture with the remaining salt, the sugar, ginger, pepper and bay leaf. Mix this very well. Store leftover in the freezer.[p]Sprinkle about 1/8” or more of dry cure into the bottom of a glass baking dish (don’t use metal). Place the fillets, skin side up, on top of the dry cure. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate about 8 hours. The moisture and oils in the fish will liquefy the dry cure and make a syrup which will cure the fish. After curing, rinse the fish very well under cold running water, rubbing gently to remove the syrup. Blot dry with paper towels and put on racks to air dry until tacky, at least 2 or 3 hours. (Salmon can be seasoned with crushed black pepper or whole green peppercorns if you like)[p]Brush or spray a light coat of olive oil or Pam on the skin side of the fish and on your rack(s). Place fish in smoker with the skin side on the rack and smoke at 180 – 200 degrees for 2 to 3 hours, using equal parts of alder wood and apple wood chips. Use a water pan below the fish. Check once or so to make sure the skin is not sticking to the racks. (spray skin side with oil if it starts to stick) Switch to cherry wood and maple wood for 1 or 2 hours. This will give the salmon a nice red color. Smoke until fish flakes easily (about 150° internal). Serve hot or chilled. This will keep in the fridge for 4 or 5 days, but it very seldom lasts that long.[p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Hatch
    Hatch Posts: 149
    jake42,
    You should check with Woo-Doggies about his Salmon recipe. He had some at the Jack and man was it good. A little cream cheese, sweet onion and capers to garnish. Some of the best I've ever had.

• trout16
    trout16 Posts: 60
    jake42,
    Good luck Jake I find it very fun to do now and people actually bring me salmon to smoke for them lol. I find it better to do this on a rainy day as it adds moisture. Ideal temp is 185 don't be scared if it goes to 200 though. Let us know how it turned out!