Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My butcher does not know what baby backs are

Options
Aussie_Hugh
Aussie_Hugh Posts: 79
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have never had a crack at ribs but the time is nearing when I must bite the bullet. There is much mention of them on this forum but the take away joints around here only seem to sell spare ribs. And I am of the impression from reading the various comments that baby backs are the way to go rather than spare ribs.[p]The thing is my butcher does not know what baby backs are (and neither do I). He has pork spare ribs but they are different aren't they? He suggested that an Asian butcher would know what they were as ribs are quite prevalent in Asian cooking.[p]So if I was to go into an Asian butcher's shop how would I describe baby backs? What part of the hog are they from? Is there a Chinese or Korean term for them?[p]Thank you.

Comments

• Aussie_Hugh,
    Print out the top section of the page at the link below and take it to your butcher.[p]Bill

[ul][li]Everything you've ever wanted to know about pork ribs[/ul]
  • ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    Aussie_Hugh,
    Hello mate, (is that correct and okay? :)),
    Well, here is my two cents worth.
    I spoke with my butcher yesterday and he confirmed that "baby back" ribs are just the 'back' ribs from a younger pig. ~about 200 pounds or less.
    He was selling just plain old 'back' ribs for $.99/lb. and those come from a full size old sow maybe weighing up to 800 lbs. This makes it a very tough rib. So baby backs just means it comes from a younger and smaller hog.[p]I bought a couple of slabs of baby backs (on sale) and cooked them yesterday, (Sunday) and they were "good". [p]However, this is my probably my third trial and I am convinced that for me and mine, the spare rib is every bit as good.
    Preparation and execution is the key. The spare rib is less than half price and has more meat, so now I am going back to it exclusively for us, but will cook the 'babies' for some guests who insist that it is the 'only' rib to cook. ;)
    If you need a method, visit GFW's site cause his 3-2-1 method will produce a super spare rib. (and for sauce try out the Ugly Brothers Chipotle Raspberry sauce! Its super)[p]Hope this helps,
    and G'day (;))
    Ron.[p][p]

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Aussie_Hugh,
    Tell him you want loin ribs from the back, not the belly portion of the pig. If he doesn't know what the loin ribs are, seek a butcher, not a meat salesman.[p]HTH

• The Virginian
    Options
    Aussie_Hugh,
    I prefer spare ribs because they have a little more flavor than the baby backs. The baby backs are a little leaner and can be meatier. I cook both because my wife prefers baby backs. [p]Brett

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Aussie_Hugh,[p]
    All you ever needed to know about ribs.

[ul][li]Ribman[/ul]
  • Aussie_Hugh, don't buy another thing in that market, that's all I can say...

• Aussie_Hugh
    Options
    Ron,[p]Actually it is "G'day mate" :)))[p]Cheers,
    Hugh.