Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about setup

llrickman
llrickman Posts: 654
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have always used my platesetter and 16" drip pan when

making butts.

Which is a better set up, the plate setter or using the

spider with a 13" pizza stone and my adjustable rig

with a drip pan on the bottom level and the butt on the

top level putting it higher in the dome

I will run it around 250-270 where ever it becomes

stable im gonna put it on in a couple hours for tomorrow
2 LBGE
Digi Q
green Thermapen
AR

Albuquerque, NM

Comments

• Turk
    Turk Posts: 114
    I did an 8 pounder on the setter legs up. Took 18 hours and it was great. Used the standard rack with the V rack on that. Worked great low in the dome with a pan under it.
  • llrickman
    Thats how ive always done them legs up on the grid ive never used a rib rack for a butt
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    I'd stick with the plate setter and drip pan. I use the AR and pizza stone, but only when I'm doing 4-6 butts at once and need to cook on two levels.
  • Turk
    Turk Posts: 114
    Not the rib rack, the V rack. Sorry
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    llrickman, I use the plate setter with the drip pan. I smoke the butt on the porcelain grid but, I don't use the vrack because it is not needed and something extra to clean up. Tim :)

Now part of the reason I use the plate setter is because when I use my maverick et-73 I can route the probe cable across the base where the leg of the plate setter is. That way the probe in not in direct line with the heat source. Now when I do so I put the leg of the plate setter at 3 o'clock position because it is easier for me and my spaghetti mess. Some times I turn the leg of the plate setter at 12 o'clock because that is a hot spot for my egg.

Not that the vrack if bad but when I first got my egg I used my vrack for butts and turned it over and used it for ribs. Now I realize I don't need the vrack for butts and I simply smoke the butt on the grid and I don't need the vrack turned upside down for ribs because I like cooking ribs flat on the grid and I have the adj. rig for that. I pretty much don't use the vrack at this time.

I have all the adj. rig stuff but if i'm smoking one or two or three butts I do it with the BGE eggcessories. ;)
  • llrickman
    thanks for all the replies
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Tim,

You should try running your therm chord in through the daisy. ;)
  • 2Fategghead
    Hey Adam, I did on the last butt cook I did. I never remember that for an option. :ermm:

I do have other ways to protect my probes cables as well. Your right there is more than one way to skin a cat. ;)
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    That's funny you say that. A handful of carpenter/tradesmen call me the 'The Cat skinner' :ohmy:
  • 2Fategghead
    Well good to meet you! :)

You ole Cat skinner you! ;)

I was tought to frame by a couple of Amish "cats" who left home to find a life of their own. That was around 40 some years ago. They still frame but, i'm trying to do other things I can't walk on 3 1/2 inches any more. ;) and we all ride Harleys have for 30 some years. Tim