Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Canning questions

Options
edg1
edg1 Posts: 86
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi All,

I recently found a recipe for salsa, with the proper ingredients, that I would like to make for holiday gifts. This would require that I can the salsa so that it won't make people sick.

My question is: How do I actually do the canning? I know that I need mason jars with the 2 piece lids, and I need to fill the jar, not all the way, and put it in boiling water. But for how long? 5 minutes? 10? 30?

Thanks,

edg

Comments

• Rick in Crystal Lake
    Options
    It's not that simple. You really need to do it properly or it can become a poison when eaten. I would suggest getting a book on caning. Ball make s a very good one and it avaialble most anystore that sells canning supplies. It's very important to sterilize the jars and lids before canning. The Ball book is for beginners to experience and will walk you through the entire process and explain the reasons why you need to follow proper precautions. canning is very rewarding and fun to do. Hope this helps.
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    edg
    Rick's words of wisdom are so "spot on"... canning is rewarding and fun... if done wrong, it could result in serious poisoning....
    We do pickles and chowchow... I'd love to hear about your salsa recipe!
    Kent Madison MS
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Salsa would benefit most from pressure canning instead of a boil. I would be hesitant to do anything that is not pickled with just a boil.

I know the pH should be sufficient in a salsa to make pressure canning unnecessary, but I would rather be safe than sorry. Pressure allows the temps of the water bath to get up above 240 instead of 212 and makes the contents of your jars safer.
  • edg1
    edg1 Posts: 86
    Options
    Hi Kent,

I did not create the salsa recipe that I am using. I got it from a guy named Bill Taylor at the eggfest put on by Eggs By The Bay this past June. I fell in love with it on first bite, I might add.

You can find the recipe http://eggsbythebay.com/Recipes.php at this link. Search on Taylor and look for his salsa recipe.

Take care,

edg
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    Thanks
    That's one I'll have to try!
    Kent Madison MS