Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

RO Chefs Select

Options
Carolina Q
Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone used this lump? Found four 40 lb bags @ $22 ea. Dirt cheap if it's any good. Made in USA. Says for restaurant use only???

Any thoughts? Thanks!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    I get my Royal Oak lump that is made in the USA for $6.37 a ten pound bag at Wall Mart so that does sound like a good deal. If it were me I would consider getting them. Tim ;)
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    LOL. Me too. Have 24 bags of it! Just wondering if the Chefs Select is any good. Cheap ain't cheap if I'm buyin' lousy lump! :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• 2Fategghead
    Options
    Yea, I don't know. It's been a while but I did call Royal Oak Company and talked to someone about their lump. Of course when I asked of the lump was any different in the BGE bag than the Royal Oak bag they said no. Aside from trying a few bags of Cowboy lump and having a stash of WG for a special cook I have always used BGE, RO, or Green Wise all supposed to be from the same company. Tim

Hope you get your answer. Tim :)
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    Just be careful to note it's origon!

If it says anything other than USA...(like "a product of Central or South American Hardwoods)

Run...don't walk away!!

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    Options
    Tim- I sent you an email.

Walt
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    OK Walt I'll watch for it or check my spam folder. Tim
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Yup, so I've heard. :) It does say US made though.

However, what it ALSO says is... BRIQUETTES! I can't believe that didn't register with me in the store. Now that I'm home and started looking around, I discovered that "minor" oversight. I gotta pay more attention! :blush: Ah well...........

Thanks, guys.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• 2Fategghead
    Options
    Oh well at least you didn't bring a bag home. Tim ;)