Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Assistance Needed - Beef Butt?

NoleC5NoleC5 Posts: 172
edited 3:25AM in EggHead Forum
Hi All,

I have a rather large piece of meat in my freezer labeled as a beef butt. My wife seems to think it is a pork butt....but I'm pretty sure I labeled right.

In any event....if it is a beef butt, could someone point me in the right direction as far as what to do with it?? I'm a little lost. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• HossHoss Posts: 14,600
    Just a question.Are you sure it is not Boston Butt that LOOKS like it says Beef Butt?Maybe an abbreviation when you packaged it? :huh:
  • WessBWessB Posts: 6,937
    I gotta agree with Hoss...I certainly don't know it all..but I ain't never heard of a beef butt..unless it's a living cow with a swinging tail..
  • NoleC5NoleC5 Posts: 172
    No...not really sure of anything at this point....

photo-10.jpg

photo-11.jpg
  • ResQueResQue Posts: 1,045
    Watch out for them hooves! :pinch: :side:
  • ResQueResQue Posts: 1,045
    I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time and certainly won't be the last, but I am guessing that is a rump roast.
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: That's funny.I don't care who you are!!!
    Looks like beef. :huh:
    So does anyone have any idea how I should try and cook it?
  • tnelstnels Posts: 75
    Braising is probably the way to go. You could rub with a some combination of salt, pepper, cumin, ancho, chipotle, oregano, onion and garlic powder then sear and cook in a dutch oven with beef stock, onions, poblano and guajillo chiles. If it's pork, then you've made carnitas. If it's beef, you've made barbacoa. Can't go wrong either way.
    Okay...well I called the place where I got it (Family Deal from Pattons here in Atlanta) and they told me that they don't sell "Beef Butts" and that it should be a Boston Butt (pork).

Guess I'll try and smoke it over night and see what happens. :-\