Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wood chuncks

GregC
GregC Posts: 91
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been able to find some hickory and pecan for smoking. Should I remove the bark or is it ok to use as is? Right now it's still green.

Greg
B)

Comments

• Greg,

The bark has some milder taste to it that could make for a nice flavor but it also burns easier vs. smokin' like the hard inner wood. Either way, dry it and "season" it before you use it. You want the tree resin moisture out of it as that can make the flavor bitter.

Smokin'Stogies in Exton, Pa with my wife and our four dogs; Sully and Boo the Newfoundlands, Murphy the Irish Setter and Alli the Beagle/Lab mix. 

Eggers Prayer-

Our egg, which art in sizes, hallowed be thy smoke, thy will be grilled, at home as it is at eggfest. Give us this clay our daily brisket and forgive us our rubs, as we forgive those who gas grill against us, and lead us not to flashback but deliver us from overnighters. For thine is the grill, the smoke, the egg. Let's eat!

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Use the bark. Green is fine.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• GregC
    GregC Posts: 91
    Thanks for the replys, doing a pork loin tomorrow.

B)
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Use it wet, use it dry, use it green, use it seasoned, bark on, bark off.

It don't matter.
  • The Nike commercial says it best "Just do it" seasoned wood or green, both make smoke and add flavor. I have never been able to tell if my smolin wood was fresh or old :silly: