Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcocked a bird

Options
Vetereggnarian
Vetereggnarian Posts: 252
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Still new at this, so this was my first spatchcock. Couple chunks of pecan, cooked on a raised grid slightly above the gasket, didn’t flip it.
IMG_1401.jpg

The skin got the acrid burnt chicken fat taste, but the meat was really good – had to beat my finicky four-year-old back from it. Definitely a keeper.

Comments

• giantwing
    giantwing Posts: 189
    Options
    wow looks great. I have not tried that yet either but I need to. Any pointers?
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Looks good
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    giantwing, I spatchcock chicken all the time and love them. Try the nakedwiz site to learn more and good luck. Don't for get to take pic's and post your cook. Tim ;)http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm
  • Vetereggnarian
    Options
    2Fategghead wrote:
    Try the nakedwiz site to learn more and good luck.

That is what I used and it worked really well. Not sure how to fix the dripping fat problem without really modifying the way it cooks (drip pan, right). Luckily I can live without eating the skin and it peels right off. Have a good pair of shears. Very easy and well worth it.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Vetereggnarian, Cindy and I love crispy skin on our chicken. We happen to like grilling our spatchcock bird on our adjustable rig up high. We grill them direct at 400 degrees and I usually pull them off when the dark meat is around 200 degrees in the inside. I also try to pick out a small bird somewhere in the area of three pounds. I don't worry about the drippings. I let the fat burn off in the hot coals. I think your chick has a wonderful color to it. Have a great weekend. Tim :)