Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stupidity Compounded With Stupidity

Options
jimbotron
jimbotron Posts: 74
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This is a bad posting about several bad things and I already feel bad enough. So don't razz me too badly, ok? :blink:

Someone bashed into my (medium-sized) egg while backing out of my driveway (it's nowhere near the path of cars, but this person was a particularly skilled driving disaster). Sent the whole thing tumbling.

No major damage to exterior, thank god, but the o-ring (or whatever it's called...the ceramic ring that the grid sits on) rolled out and cracked in half.

I then compounded the stupidity by throwing it out. And then, genius that I am, I read the customer service note about how such things can be repaired. Great. Good to know!

So...........what's the fastest, cheapest way to replace this piece so I can pretend none of this ever happened?

Also, what DO you call this piece?

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    It's called the "fire ring" and if it's in 2 pieces just put the 2 pieces back in and keep on using it...it wont affect anything..
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Yep, I worked with a broken fire ring for months by just setting it in the Egg in two pieces, fit closely together.
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    I'd go to Home Depot or whatever store you choose and buy a couple of appropriate sized bricks or something to mimic the height. That should work well enough until you get the part ordered from BGE. Sorry about your bad luck.
  • jimbotron
    Options
    Thanks, but is there any reason that temporary solution can't be permanent?

Turns out I can only order this from BGE direct, and it's sixty bucks, plus like twenty shipping, plus a week wait.

I think a few posters missed the part about my having thrown it away. I could look for it at the town dump, but my kid broke it into four chunks to fit into the trash bag, and I'm assuming four chunks would be pointless to try to epoxy back together.
  • Groundhog66
    Options
    Damn, sorry about your situation. I think your best bet is to bite the bullet and order a replacement, $80 isn't too bad. If you can find the 4 pieces, I don't see a problem giving it a shot.....Good Luck.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    I was also assuming he could get it back out of the trash..apparently that's not the case.
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    The piece is called th firering. You can get another from your local dealer and save a few bucks by allowing him to receive it with a regular scheduled delivery. In the mean time you can use fire bricks to approximate the height of the ring. You can also use long bolts to raise your grid back to the original height. If the grid fits on top of the firebox you could also cook directly on it.

The problem with not replacing it would be a reduced capacity of lump for long cooks. Kinda hard to fill it to the top of the firering if you don't have one. If it were me I'd get another one quickly.
  • jimbotron
    Options
    Wow. Just checked the cans out front. Garbage men did NOT pick up. Finally, a break in my luck!

So I've got a fire ring broken into four chunks. Do I epoxy even when it's that seriously broken up?

Should the ceramic ever break apart, it can usually still be used for cooking until a repair can be made. Any of our ceramic parts can be easily repaired with the use of a heat resistant epoxy. Look for a high temperature, non-toxic epoxy, available at most home center or hardware stores. Follow the instructions that come with the product. The repaired part should be ready within a few hours.
  • i know it's at the dump, but four peices are fine, even no epoxy, just sitting on the firebox.

my firebox itself is in four pieces
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    If you can put Humpty back together with out glue I would. Just lay the pieces in there and get cooking. If it bothers you that much you can always use JB Weld to fit it together.

Great save BTW
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    I've used a fireplace/furnace caulk I bought at Lowes. That should work. However if the breaks allow it to be put in place without it wanting to fall inward your good to go without any adhesive use.
  • Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    You have mail, or will shortly.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Oops....not good. I'd go with the fire bricks until he feels well enough to part with $80 for the real thing.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    mine doesnt need glue, been this way for several years now. this is a type a test :laugh:

100_1654.jpg

100_1655.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • When I read your post I thought to myself, just because he threw it out doesn't mean the garbage man took it to the dump. Guess what.
  • it's also a sobriety test.
  • THA
    THA Posts: 198
    Options
    Don't think I could do that sober
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Jimbo, that sounds like a nightmare. I hope you weren't watching as the egg humtied over! You are very lucky it was only the fire ring that broke. Must have fallen in the grass or something. We haven't heard of anyone actually driving over an egg before, but this sounds as if it might have been close!

Glue that baby back together and get to egging!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • jimbotron
    Options
    Thanks, Faith. I've got the shards lined up inside the egg, and will fire it up today. Hoping for the best....