Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ PITMASTERS

smoker22
smoker22 Posts: 12
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was wondering what everyone else thought about the new
BBQ Pitmaster show...I thought it was terrible..IMO it looks like some producer that doesnt know BBQ has ruined a good thing.

Comments

• Same as last week, terrible

Let TLC know
  • It's pretty bad.
    Fred V. Smyrna,Ga.
  • UKBradC
    UKBradC Posts: 46
    I agree with the guy from Grill on Grill Action from the first week. He didn't sign up for a cole slaw or catfish competition, the people want to see good bbq. Overall terrible show. Last season was much better.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,662
    after hearing all the reviews last week, i watched it, pretty funny if you view it as a comedy :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: i hope myron got paid enough :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • yep, from the bbq'rs perspective the show sucks. .. rattlesnake??? potato salad????!! . ...but i heard from someone in 'the know' that from focus groups, the non-bbq'rs love it . ...it is geared towards the same non-cookers that like shows like top-chef and chopped. ...and those folks are liking it very much....so we are in the minority....
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    They lost THIS viewer last week! :sick::sick:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    i'll say it again.... i'd rather watch a bad (to some) bbq show than house hunters reruns.

edit: plus a girl from mississippi won last night!

edit2: and they've had bge's on the first two episodes.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    bubba tim wrote:
    They lost THIS viewer last week! :sick::sick:

They lost THIS viewer last SEASON! I didn't like it then! I did watch the first episode this time around - for about 10 minutes. When they introduced the catfish I changed channels.

fishless... as for Mixon, you KNOW they paid him enough! :lol:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• I thought it was terrible, but I still watched it for some reason. Not sure how Warren Sapp became a BBQ judge all of the sudden, he obviously knows nothing. He lost all credibility when he referred to the bark on the pork butt as a "nice sear". I also hate the fact that someone gets sent home for losing a fish/snake cookoff, gimme a break.......And don't even get me started on that tool they have hosting that entire mess.
  • I deleted it from my DVR schedule after the first week. I was like watching Chopped, which I do not like either.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    I was wondering the same thing about Sapp. Mixon seems to put up with him, but the other judge is on the verge of open contempt with how little he knows.

I don't know how anyone can possibly cook for a "contest" that has, at the core, no rules.
  • Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    I, like some others read the reviews before I watched it last week so I went in knowing that it was not going to be great.

I think what will run me off from it will be the host. I can only take so much cheesy.

Walt
  • 61chev
    61chev Posts: 539
    A waste of time CATFISH!!!!! What kinda bbq is that potato salad is ok if the contestants knew before hand and were judged on the whole presentation
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    I don't like it but, I watched it. I don't know how much longer I am going to put up with the nonsense. Tim :unsure:
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

If ya don't like it why watch it??? You don't see me watching Oprah Winfrey , Ellen Degenerate or Dr. Zz. :laugh:

I agree it's not a great grilling show and it was better last year (bring back Lee Ann, even Johnny Trigg would help) but I did like Myron's reaction to the snake. LOL.

Blair

• DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    It is not too bad. I kinda of like the format change. I did enjoy seeing the contests on the road and such. If more of us had watched it last season and got the ratings better they would not have changed the format. The ratings were not to good last season.
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • asianflava
    asianflava Posts: 313
    If I recall correctly, everybody hated it last time too. Why more hate on something they weren't watching in the first place? Not watching, is an option.

Yes it is formulaic, following shows like chopped but it is still dealing with outdoor cooking which I like. Haven't seen the 2nd episode but I'm waiting for someone to bust out their Dutch Ovens. Seeing the different ways to prepare food outside is what I watch for, not the competition so much.
  • Well said Max. I agree.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    All TV shows thrive or fail on ratings. You can bet there are watchful eyes and ears searching everywhere for clues as to what the viewers are saying about the show.

For sure, Kingsford knows enough about BBQ competition to monitor viewers response. If not, shame on them.

We know it's a terrible show from start to finish and soon someone responsible for the show will be saying the same thing, or should be.

Also, from what I gather, the competitors are not equally represented by their rank in winnings and titles. That seems unfair.

Finally, the judges appear to be interested in what they like, not which entry was best. For example, one doesn't like mayonnaise at all but the other judge likes potato salad to be heavy in mayonnaise. Personal preference should take back seat to the best presentation.

Surprises, especially stupid ones, don't help matters at all and is totally unfair to the competitors.

As Max pointed out, there are viewers out there who fancy themselves qualified to view Crap-TV and enjoy it but I didn't enjoy it at all. The only problem with this equation is that my TV was tuned to it for the entire time slot and will most likely be counted as a satisfied viewer.

Spring "Some People Waste Time While Others Make Money Off It" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    does anyone know if the teams are given a heads up on the quick grilling challenge? seems like they would almost have to.
  • Cruezn
    Cruezn Posts: 317
    I watched an episode last night, but it was off the dvr, so I don't know if its last weeks, or the current one. But, I do know, I didn't like it. I enjoyed last season, and now it seems more like a Survivor (which I don't like) type cooking show. I thought Sapp at least brought some personality to the show. The host is a tool, and the Simon Cowell wannabe was a dork too. I cancelled the recording after watching last night. I knew there was a host change, but didn't realize there was a format change :ohmy: Oh well, that's another hour a week I can do something else. I feel bad for Myron (who I hated at first last year, but he really grew on me), but I'm sure he's getting paid.
  • It's such a bad show.... I can't even begin.. forget about what is and isn't bbq... the show itself is stupid... horrible production value.... bad judges.. I watched it last night for the last time...
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Yes and no, it seems to me that they are looking at the whole dish as a complete entry. Not judging pulled pork alone. You can only do pulled pork in so many ways, then it is just pulled pork. Using the idea of judging what is on the plate not so much as each item. In a sence it is a chuck wagon competition and not a BBQ showdown. Pitting best against worst is good and learning experience for the lesser person. Yes it seems odd to judge on personal tastes, but so is CHOPPED, one guy hates red onions and he tells them that and they use it again, and wonders why they get bad marks. My daughter who loves these cooking competition, but cant cook. I do think a better format is needed and get away from the current format, but we still do not have Smellavision!
  • Jeffersonian
    I can't wait to see what other D-list celeb they get to replace Warren Sapp after he allegedly assaulted a woman in his hotel room. Juice Newton? Ernest Borgnine?
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Ernest Borgnine would be bad ass. I would like the host to be fired but the show is ok. I will reserve final judgement after a few more episodes.
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • I've watched my last one. After the last episode, I canceled the season recording on my DVR.
  • Jeffersonian
    That's true, he was in "The Wild Bunch," wasn't he? I'd like Warren Oates more, but that's me. Well, and Warren's dead.
  • I bet the producers boil their ribs.
  • Cruezn
    Cruezn Posts: 317
    That's freaking funny :woohoo:
  • Barely made it through the first one

Watched a movie during the second one - Death at a Funeral - pretty funny