Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Three butts in the books

2Fategghead
2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I found three 3 to 4 pound butts on reduced sale yesterday for $.89 per pound. Needless to say I run cold water over them and patted them dry and rubbed them up real real good. I got my egg stable at 250 degrees and smoked these little fellas.

I normally like to get the 7 to 10 plus pound butts at $2.00 plus a pound but, you see I like my money so I got the cheap ones because they were still good to cook.

100_3152.jpg

100_3153.jpg

100_3155.jpg

100_3156.jpg

We like to eat our butt in chunks unless we put in in bread then we shred it. Yes those are some home grown tomato's. Hope you like we did. :P Tim

100_3157.jpg

Comments

• danny285
    danny285 Posts: 360
    They look good, never saw any that small.
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Looks great and home grown tomatoes are the best.

I noticed you don't eat the skins, I heard that this is the best part of a fruit or vegetable because it's the layer that it uses to protect itself so it stores most of the nutrients there - Read it on the web so it must be true. :)

Thanks for posting - Go Titans!
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • 2Fategghead
    Thanks Danny. The butts were small and the first time I ever smoked such small butts. Personally I like the 8 to 10 pound butts. Tim ;)
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    I got to do me a mess of butt up soon as well. Freezer is out! :( Good to see you still getting tomatoes as well. We got 300 bucks of water on ours probably but sure are good! Okree should start in a couple weeks!! Loves me some fried okree. :whistle:
  • 2Fategghead
    EggNorth, Thanks. It was a good cook and an inexpensive cook but, I still like the big butts. ;)

I love my home grown Bradley tomato's to me they are the best and I for one love them with out the skin but don't get me wrong I will eat them either way. :P

Like you said Go Titans! :woohoo:
  • 2Fategghead
    Thanks Deane, I did get to freeze a little butt and I let my neighbor have one butt and it turned out it was his birthday so, good for him and his wife and kid.

As far as our garden spot it has pretty much played out. Yesterday I seen a ground hog come out from under my other neighbor's out building and get in my tomato patch. When I ran out there to run him off I seen there was another big ass ground hog coming out from under there. So I hope I will be needing a ground hog recipe soon. :woohoo: Tim

Good talking to you. ;)

I don't mind him stealing my apples.

000_2231.jpg

But if I can I gunna put him on a lead diet. :woohoo:

000_2276.jpg
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    The mini butts look good Tim. How's your axe handle doing, buddy? :laugh:
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Looks great Tim even though they were small. :P How are your tomatoes holding up? Mine are about gone. Not much of a summer here to speak of. :(
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • 2Fategghead
    Good morning Rebecca. :)

Thanks the mini butts were great and so was the price per pound and that is the only reason I purchased them. You see

I love Big Butts!

I didn't use that egg with the axe handle in this cook but, I hope it is ready and waiting.

Hope you have a great day sweetie.

Can you call your Dr...sweetie? :ermm:

Tim :)
  • 2Fategghead
    My tomato's are about played out i'm afraid. Soon I will be cleaning up in the garden area pulling up steaks...

Have you been riding any? Last weekend we raised money in a poker run for a sick friend. Tim
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Looks great Tim! We've never done butts under 6 or 7 lbs. How long did it take you to cook them?
    Our tomatoes are horrible this year because of the weather we had. Yours sure look tasty.
  • Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    Great looking pork. Our meals are not complete until we have 'maters on the table.

Love the Titans glass! I cooked some sausages in my small last night to get ready for tailgate season (starts Monday).

Walt
  • thechief96
    I have to admit that I haven't been riding much. :blush: Been on the busy side.
  • 2Fategghead
    Good morning Anne, I hope you and Del are doing OK this morning.

I put the butts on at 9:am yesterday morning and they started coming off one at a time at 5:pm, 5:30 and 6:pm respectfully. So, 8 plus hours on the butts and that is how I planed the cook. ;) We ate on the first one after being in the cooler for 30 minutes and had leftovers from it. Then we chunked up the second one for the freezer. The last butt went to our friend and neighbor. I mow 4 acres for him every week and I am grateful for that. I'm like you I've never done such small butts before. They did come out great I took them to 200 degrees. I still would rather cook the big butts. As you can see there was a lot of bark and I like that but, I felt the moisture in the butts were low compared to a large butt cook.

Our tomato garden went in early but we had historic flooding this spring and the plant bed was on the brink of being under water. Our onion set's were under water and never did come up. I think the ground became compacted and the plants tomato's came in at the same time all in July. My Mother who lives in Stitzer, Wis. had a bad year as well. Their tomato's just came in.

Tim :)
  • 2Fategghead
    Thanks Walt. We love our maters aas well. I guess we'll see you on Monday. Go Titans! :woohoo: Tim
  • 2Fategghead
    Nothing wrong with being busy. Got to make hay while the sun is shinning. B) Tim

It's been sunny and hot and humid here. So, last week I turned my bike trailer around and pulled out the awning. Then I pulled my Handy lift out under it and rolled my bike on it. I managed to soak all the bugs off it and all the road grime as well. Nothing like hand washing your bike raised like this. It was in the 90 this day close to 100 degrees and I had a big squirrel cage fan blowing on me so it was very nice under the awning. B)

100_3120.jpg

100_3119.jpg

100_3118.jpg

100_3117.jpg

100_3116.jpg

100_3115.jpg
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Only if you're special Tim.....and you most certainly are! :)
  • thechief96
    Very nice setup Tim. ;) I especially like the special wash the bike shoes. :P Good looking bike.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Use the full metal. Want mess up as much meat. If young do'em up like a squeral and fry. If old and touch..ground hog and dumplings?? :laugh:
  • 2Fategghead
    Ground hog and dumplings it is. :P Now I need some dynamite like on Caddy shack. :woohoo: