Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Naked Whiz-Affect of Stable Fire Size...

Options
Denbbq
Denbbq Posts: 84
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I think I understand the concept, but am trying to think through the implications for the time to wait before going to bed on a low and slow. Does it mean that if you fill a LBGE halfway up the fire ring with lump and wait at least an hour after closing the dome, and the other conditions are not too bizarre, the fire should be at a stable size and minor adjustments should keep it stable?

Comments

• Cheaven
    Cheaven Posts: 30
    Options
    Sounds like a safe bet. I usually just start a fire in a couple spots, let it get up till about 375, the by the time I put in some wood chunks, the plate setter and food it drops to around 200. Then I play with it until I lock in somewhere around 225. I've never had a fire issue.
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    I would go to sleep once you are comfortable that the cooker will maintain it's setting. That could be anywhere from 1 hour to 5. It's all a matter of personal comfort.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Consider stabilizing your egg at 250 dome with the plate setter in but no meat for an hour.

Then after an hour put your meat in and watch it for an hour(If after an hour has passed and your egg has been cooking and you haven't touched anything check back every three hours). Then every three hours. Tim

Listen in time you will get a feel for this kind of cook but, I know you don't want the sleep through the night and get up at 8:45 am to see your egg has cooled down some and the internal of your butt is at 120 degrees. :unsure:
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    No, if you have left the lid open and it is not heating up, then when you close it, it will start "sucking up" heat from the fire. Until the dome temp gets to a stable temp, you won't have a stable environment.

That said, I don't know how "unstable" this makes things. But you want stability in the setup that you will be cooking with, i.e., the dome closed and the entire ceramic shell at some stable condition.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Cactus Doug
    Options
    My large eggs love to cruise along at 250 dome temp. Bring your egg up to temp with all the ceramics (including platesetter) and cooking grid in place. Once the egg has held temp without adjustment for at least an hour you should be good to go. Add your meat at this point, the temp will drop, because of cold meat and you just opened the lid. At this point DO NOT mess with your vent settings, be patient the egg will return to temp and all will be well. I usually get up once in the middle of the night look out the window at the therm. and then go back to bed. Good luck.
  • ThailandBBQ
    Options
    My medium goes up, down and all around without touching it on a slow cook. I wouldn't trust it on an overnighter.

Mike