Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

curing cast iron cooking grate

Options
jake42
jake42 Posts: 932
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just got my cast iron cooking grate. I cured it with Crisco vegetable oil. Worked fine (except for the slightly sticky reidue that was left)
but after doing so and following up I had read that using lard or bacon grease would have done better. Can anyone give me some advice?

Comments

• jake42,
    I know with Lodge cast iron cookware (pots,pans), vegetable oil is what they recommend in the instructions.[p]Mike

• jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Options
    WilmFD146,
    Thanks,
    I grilled some burgers shortly after I cured it and they came out great. Just trying to find out the best way to do it.

• Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Options
    Crisco is fine but it sounds like you did not cure at high enough temperature or for too short of time.[p]475 for an hour is what I would have done.[p]10 other people will chime in with 12 other opions.[p]
  • Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Options
    jake42, my grate is in great shape. After each cook, I scrape it with a brush, and spray it with Crisco spray, close the lid and let it cool. The combination of oils from the cook, heat, and oil seems to cure it nicely.
    Scott

• Gene
    Gene Posts: 99
    Options
    jake42,
    After high Temperatures I don't have any cure left on mine. So it was recure every time. I just forgot about it and use it. Gene

• LasVegasMac
    Options
    jake42, you had sticky residue left because you 1) used to much oil, or 2) did not have it hot enough.[p]I would not worry too much about the seasoning for a cooking grate. Cooking utensils - such as cast iron dutch ovens and fry pans / grids - yes.[p]You are going to get this grate so hot that any "seasoning" will be burned off. Not so with a DO or a fry pan. Just keep it clean of food junk.[p]I think someone posted below that they give a swipe with veg oil when they are done with the cook. Good advice.[p]You need to realize that, yes this grate is cast iron - but it will be subjected to temps way higher than would be normally used for cast iron equipment (DO's, frying pans, etc.)[p]Cast iron and the BGE are a great match but I have been using cast iron long before I was blessed by the BGE!![p]just IMHO.[p]LVM

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    Gene, i agree, just use it will be fine

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it