Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small indirect BGE

Buzzy
Buzzy Posts: 29
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got a Small at Eggtoberfest and while I am comfortable ccoking lo and slow on a large I started to think about how to set up the small for an indirect cook. I looked in the archives and everything from firebricks to ceramic dishes seem to be the heat deflectors. [p]What set ups are being used for indirect in smalls?[p]I would also like some input about what works for a longer cook. Is an 8# butt too long a cook for the small? I am going camping and would like to plan a reasonable menu. (Since you can't just call out for Pizza!)[p]Thanks in advance!
Kent

Comments

• Steve-B
    Steve-B Posts: 339
    Buzzy,[p]WessB has some pics on his website for indirect on smalls. Look in the tips section.
    [ul][li]WessB's BBQ Information Website[/ul]
  • yaB
    yaB Posts: 137
    Buzzy,
    I don't have a small Egg (yet), but I'm guessing that the limitation for a big roast would be the fuel supply. If you've got an 8# butt, that could be a stretch on one load of lump. (Again, just guessing here. Perhaps more experienced small users will chime in with real-world data.)[p]But you could divvy your 8# butt into two 4#ers and cut the cooking time significantly. AND get more bark in the bargain.[p]Bob

• Buzzy, I use my small more than any other Egg!You will love it. Great on indirect cooks and usually you can count on at least 14 -15 hours of heat on low temp cooks before you need to add more charcoal.The small cooks an unbelievable amount of food on SOOO little charcoal. I just did an 8 # butt, took about 16 hours total time, started at 9p.m. finished about 1p.m. next day.Used maybe a gallon of charcoal. I threw in some additional charcoal at 8A.M. the morning after I started.Still had a full load of coals ready for re-use(left over) when I finished the cook.(Plus, I did add a few hickory twigs for more late smoke).As a heat deflector--substitute plate setter-- since BGE does not have a product to fit the small-- your choices for heat deflector in order of my preference would be : (1) get a 13 inch stone(like a pizza stone) from a ceramic supply shop like "Davens Ceramic" on Peachtree St. Atlanta (under the viaduct at Clairmont Rd,) and cut out a plate setter with a saw, then use some kiln posts for "leg" elevation, or (2) get a 13 and 3/4 inch plate setter from Davens, they sell 'em, and file down the legs so it will fit into the small egg or (3) get the ceramic dish that BGE sells plus an extra BGE small grill and use the second grill with the ceramic dish to block heat....The small requires a little more ingenuity than the large... but it is a FANTASTIC PRODUCT...just my .02 cents, but feel free to e-mail me if you have ?? or thoughts...

• Buzzy,[p]Your small will do TWO eight pound butts at one time.[p]Dave

• Buzzy
    Buzzy Posts: 29
    Buzzy,[p]Thanks for all of the help and ideas. I really look forward to trying some fun stuff while camping![p]Kent