Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cleaning of pizza stone?

Snoopy Dog Dog
Snoopy Dog Dog Posts: 436
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've had my pizza stone for a couple of years. I've never formally cleaned it except for scraping it off and that works great. A family member which will remain nameless went on a cleaning spree, got the stone and scrubbed it with soap and water (crazy relative). I cooked some pizzas this afternoon and the crust had a bad soapy taste (not a good thing). Anybody have any ideas? Will that problem go away or has it soaked in the stone and ruined it? Thanks.[p]Snoopy Dog Dog

Comments

• yaB
    yaB Posts: 137
    Snoopy Dog Dog,
    Couple of ideas: You could pressure wash it with plain warm or hot water to try to work the soap/detergent out of the pores. Or you could soak it in a couple of changes of plain hot water in hopes that the soap/detergent will work its own way out. Or you could run it through a dishwasher with no detergent for a couple of cycles, making sure there's no rinse agent being added at the end, or stopping the cycle before it gets to that point. [p]Good luck,
    Bob

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Snoopy Dog Dog,
    if that had happened to me I would first ask Ms Cleaner to buy me a new stone and if that didn't work I'd ask her what she used - I mean a liquid dishwashing soap is one thing, but a penterating degreaser is another thing. I probably would also try the soaking in plain clean water to rinse it out of the pores. This may take days - the same as it will nned to be dried for days too to prevent a high temp crack from retained moisture.
    One last thought - I stupidly once thought my stone could stand a high temp burn off - bad bad idea! What was a beautiful shiney black slick stone now has blotches on it of dark gray. Oh how I wish I would have left my perfectly aged pizza stone alone!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Snoopy Dog Dog,
    They're cheap. Buy a new one and keep your ruined one in your indoor oven for thermal moderation/thermal mass (helps return you to set temperature quickly when you open the door).

• Snoopy Dog Dog,
    Well, here's what they say on the Pampered Chef website. The baking powder method might help?[p]
    Deep Cleaning
    Prepare a baking soda paste by mixing 1/2 cup baking soda with 3 tablespoons water.
    Apply baking soda paste to desired areas and let sit for 15-20 minutes. Scrape off excess paste using the Nylon Pan Scraper. Rinse and dry thoroughly before storing.

• Snoopy Dog Dog,
    The thing is basically a sponge, very porous. I would just try soaking it in water for a few days, changing the water daily. Hopefully the soap will migrate out to the water - just like getting the salt out of a ham.

--
    Andrew (BGE owner since 2002)