Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large VS Medium--Would appreciate some details...

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm trying to decide whether to purchase the large vs the medium BGE. Most of the time I'll be cooking for 1-2.....occasionally for 4-6. I've read most of the prior posts on this subject, and would appreciate some details from those of you out there that own both a large and a medium....[p]How much longer does it take the large to heat to a given temperature (say 500 degrees) than the medium?[p]How much more charcoal does the large take to hold that temperature for a given period of time (say 1 hour) than the medium?[p]Is the operating range of temperatures the same for both the large and medium?[p]Will appreciate any specifics you can provide....![p]djt

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    djt,[p]I have 2 larges and a mini. Heating up should be the same. Lump should be the same. I think the only difference is the size of the cooking area. Gfw has a medium and has done quite well it. Visit his site.[p]CWM
  • BBQBluesStringer
    Options
    djt,
    Get the large. You'll appreciate the extra cooking space when you cook for those 4-6 people events. In fact, you'll probably invest in a grid extender for your large.[p]Fuel is cheap. Fill the firebox. I have cooked 24 hours low-n-slow on a single load of lump and still had plenty of fuel for a 750 degree steak sear the next day.[p]My large can hit 900 degrees in 15 minutes. Is that fast enough for you? ;-)

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    djt,
    I don't think you will find there is much difference in either time to reach a temp or fuel necessary to hold a temp. The main difference is just basically the size. I have both. I started with a large, then got a small, then a medium just because it was cheap. But, the large is the most versatile cooker of the lot as far as capacity is concerned and I think you will appreciate the extra room when you do cook for 6 people. Good luck!
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Snoopy Dog Dog
    Options
    djt,[p]I own one of each. Although the medium is going to be big enough for you most of the time, there is going to be that situation when you wish you had purchased the large (big Thanksgiving turkey, multiple beer can chickens, kabobs, etc...) For the small price difference, the large is the way to go in my opinion. As for the charcoal, time, temp, etc... any difference is very small.[p]Snoopy Dog Dog
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    djt,[p]Only difference is capacity. I have a Medium and wished I would have bought a Large. You may plan to cook for only 1 or 2 people most of the time, but after you own an Egg, you'll find that you have guests over more than you planned.[p]Get a Large.[p]TRex
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    djt,[p]Don't even waste time thinking about the medium just go straight to the Large. You won't regret it. I have a large and a Mini and I would like to get another Large some day NOT a medium or small. This is a pretty standard question for a potential newbie and more often than not history will prove the old dogs right. What ever you get you'll enjoy and welcome to the cult.
  • Adrian B.
    Adrian B. Posts: 124
    Options
    Snoopy Dog Dog,[p]Thanks for this post. I was going to ask the same question about which size to buy, then I remembered the netiquette rule to search first and found the post. I also usually only cook for 2, but we have friends over about every 10 days or so, and I love making beer can chickens for them. Having eggstra room in a large is exactly what I need.
    Cheers,
    Adrian