Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Outdoor Kitchen Side Burner

Options
Photo Egg
Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm in the market for an outdoor "side burner" to mount in a cooking station.
They make drop in and slide in models and then many brands as well.
Any advice on model (not trying to break the bank) or style.
I would rather stay propane and not run nat gas lines.
Thanks in advance.
Darian
Thank you,
Darian

Galveston Texas

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    I looked into a built in propane burner and found they are pretty expensive...really like the idea of it, but also don't want to give up the counterspace...we got a couple of these and they are serving us very well..and they get very hot...
    http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Butane-Stove-Restaurant-Crafters/dp/B000TJZLAQ
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Darian I have been looking at the ele one on sale at Williams-Sonoma. This is a high output deal and has like $200 off now.
    Have not pulled the trigger, but looking very close.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• BurntRaw
    BurntRaw Posts: 565
    Options
    Hey Wess if they are serving you well you should let your thoughts be known on Amazon to balance out the current one star rating - is the fuel available anywhere?
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    I agree with Wess. Unless you plan to use the burner a lot these little burners are perfect. They will heat a full size skillet to searing temps.

The good thing is that you can use them anywhere.

I bought mine a few years ago at a restaurant supply store for about $20. Came with a tank of gas and a storage case. I've never taken it to Eggfests but I really should. That's why I bought it.

Worth every 1 Cent coin.

Spring "Three Thousand Penny's Saved" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • WessB
    Options
    I don't own that exact one..was just using it as an example...I can get the fuel at RD but it is available other places as well..
  • WessB
    Options
    I bought my second one at RD and have used it at Waldorf eggfest several times for breakfast...we used to use them on the boat all the time..
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Found the one stuff on the William-Sonomia store.
    Caso C21 Induction Burner
    $349 after $200 off...
    It is ele and can take in the house for holidays....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

I have one like Wess linked to - that's a good price. Out here the fuel canisters are easily found in the stores. Love it and ended up buying 5 more with fuel. One for the each of the kids.

GG
  • WessB
    Options
    Hope your doing well Kent.....
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Thanks Wess, I'm just slower (was slow before). I am hoping I can get the lung capacity back so I don't have to rely on or lug around the o2 tanks.

Kent
  • usudno
    usudno Posts: 32
    Options
    I have the bullet by bull. Sold at lowes. Its a drop in. Sits right next to my weber s-660 on the outdoor kitchen. It will cook anything. Boil water. Sautee onions. anything needed it can handle. Good luck with the recover gramps.
  • ThailandBBQ
    Options
    Photo Egg,

I did hours and hours of research on high end gas grills and double drop in side burners before moving to Thailand. It im my opinion that if you are going to put the drop in burner in a permanent outdoor kitchen don't scrimp on money. I went with a Fire Magic Grill along with their double side burner. Fire Magic has one of the best warranties in the industry. My Echelon 730 is well built and should last me until I can't grill anymore. I wanted something that would last since I shipped it to Thailand and parts are not going to be easy to get. I still worry from time to time actually how long my egg will last, cracking seems to happen out of the blue according to some posts and sometimes for no real apparent reason. BTW, Fire Magic makes a cast iron griddle to fit over the double burner, great for pancakes, eggs, bacon....now I am hungary and need to eat breakfast.

Bottom line go with a top of the line burner, F.M., Lynx, Viking, DCS. If you want reviews on grills try about.com.

My 2 cents and I am not trying to start a feud between the Egg and high end gas grills.

Mike
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    EGGSELENT advice! B)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i would look into somethging like this, you will have less problems if you can put it away. i use a huge burner from an old turkey fryer with a stand, mostly for lobster boils so it gets a fair amount of use, if i dont store it inside, the nozzle and plates rust and bugs get inside the nozzle creating webs etc and it needs constant attention. heres a small movable table top unit

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/stansport-single-cast-iron-stove-burner.aspx?a=575807
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it