Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Breast on egg?

michael
michael Posts: 47
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone got info on cooking a whole turkey breast on a large egg? Looking for ideas for recipes and cooking time emp. Its only about 3 pounds. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    Michael,
    My experience is smoking a whole turkey with the Spanek towers. I brine the bird overnight in the frig. Next morning, I rinse it.[p]One polder goes in the breast & 1 through a potatoe at grid leve. I smoke it at about 250.[p]During the cook, one an hour, I spritz it with olive oil & apple juice. I have a pint spray bottle of each.[p]I have smoked a store bird @ 39 cent a pound, a range bird at $3 a pound & an American Heritage bird (like they were in Ben Franklin days) at $7 a pound.[p]My family & friends voted the American Heritage bird.[p]The KC Chiefs Coach bought a 25 pounder last year.[p]It is important that you track the grid temp & the dome temp.[p]Everything I cook take between 4 & 6 hours. I enjoy watching the smoke curl out as I read & drink wine.[p]Nessmuk

• michael
    michael Posts: 47
    Nessmuk,
    Thanks for the tips, I plan on doing a whole turkey for thanksgiving. I was just going to experiment with a small turkey breast. One of the little butterballs with no bones in it. Has anyone tried it?

• Buzzy
    Buzzy Posts: 29
    Michael,[p]I take my turkey breasts and put a dry rub on them and let them cure for 12, or up to 36 hours and them smoke them indirect (over a platesetter) at about 325°. The dry rub can be Dizzy Pig or any of the others that are around. I usually use hickory chunks for the smoke. The breasts that I have done have been in the 6-7 pound range taking about 3 hours or so until the internal temperature reaches 180°.