Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Crispy skin on chicken

Adult ADHD
Adult ADHD Posts: 150
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My BBQ chicken last night was moist and very tastey. The secretaries thought it was some of the best they had ever had. I used a brine with salt, sugar and tea and cooked slow to 165 degrees. I would like to have it finish with a crispy skin. How do I do that?

Comments

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    ADHD: Welcome to the forum! We have found our most successful chicken skin has been achieved at 400-425* indirect. Inside stays moist, outer skin (pretty) crisp. It's still not like fried skin, but really not bad. Have fun, and happy eggin!
  • Air-drying over night in the fridge helps me get the skin crispier. Try it out and see if it works for you.
  • You can also get a sifter (for flour), and sprinkle some corn starch on the chicken before you add the rub/seasoning, or leave the chicken in the frige overnight uncovered. another method is to remove the skin and scrape off the fat, then put the skin back on.
  • Or you cheat a bit and fry the skin just a bit on a griddle.
  • The secret to crispy chicken skin is getting the water out of the skin. People do this by sprinkling corn starch on the skin. But also, placing the bird uncovered in your refrigerator for up to 48 hours will dry the skin. When it is dry, the skin will be almost translucent. It looks funky, but after you oil it and cook it at 350 or higher, you should get the crispy skin you desire. Also, serve it as soon as you can because the skin will reabsorb some moisture from the meat which will then undo all your hard work. Here is a photo of what the skin will look like: brn005.jpg
    Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Adult ADHD
    Adult ADHD Posts: 150
    I am going to try overnight in the fridge and a dusting with cornstarch next week. I may have to start this chicken many nights in advance as I love the brine.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,668
    thighs can be cooked low and slow til crispy because you can cook those to 200 degrees internal and the fat in them makes up for that. with breasts or whole chickens you will need to raise your temps or the skin will get rubbery, too much moisture with the skin touching the meat. the overnight in the fridge helps alot, so does the corn starch, also you can lift the skin off the meat on the breast area by sliding your finger under the skin carefully to avoid tearing the skin. something that seems hard to do is starting skin side down when spatchcocking, that starts the skin cooking first, the fat turns to liquid and starts to fry the skin, flip when its browned to your liking.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nak2000
    nak2000 Posts: 3
    I'm definitely no expert, but I have been trying to achieve the crispy skin as well. I haven't tried drying it out, but I did cook a chicken indirect at 500 for about an hour and the skin was crispy and the meat was still juicy.
  • nak2000
    nak2000 Posts: 3
    I'm definitely no expert, but I have been trying to achieve the crispy skin as well. I haven't tried drying it out, but I did cook a chicken indirect at 500 for about an hour and the skin was crispy and the meat was still juicy.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    LImp Brisket that photo has to make little kids and girls run for cover :unsure:
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    All good advice so far. I have to echo the higher temp recommendation. I buy air-chilled chicken which I feel is better as well. The air drying pretty much goes out the window if you brine or marinate the chicken-- which is what I did last night. We had Tequilla lime chicken, Ina Garten recipe, and it was the best yet. Of course it was the first time I prepared that recipe on an Egg! :cheer: I cooked it at 425 direct, started skin side up, turned it to get some good color, then turned it again and placed around the edge of the grate. This let it cook through to 170-175 and served it with some rice. Best yet.

All that is the long way of saying you either need higher heat, direct heat, some air drying, or all of the above. Whatever you choose to do... keep cooking that yard bird! :laugh:
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com