Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

looking for ideas for a prime rib

Options
egghead2004
egghead2004 Posts: 430
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My inlaws are coming over for a prime rib tonight. I wowed them with one a couple weeks ago, so they want more. I was wondering if anyone had any differnt recipes that they have tried. I liked the normal salt pepper and garlic, but it's time for a change.[p]thanks

Comments

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    prime2.jpg
    <p />egghead2004,[p]I usually enjoy the simple compliments of kosher salt, black pepper, and olive oil. However, I've also tried the following with very nice results:[p]Take a bottle of balsamic vinegar and pour it into a small pot. Simmer until the vinegar is reduced - probably over an hour. The vinegar should become slightly thicker and more sweet than sour. It's also nice to put some fresh sprigs of rosemary in the pot while the vinegar is simmering. Let this reduced balsamic cool, then use as a marinade, or just use as something with which to baste the roast.[p]This marinade also goes very nicely on beef tenderloin.[p]I'm sure you'll get some other good responses on this question as well.[p]Good luck,[p]TRex
    [ul][li]Prime Rib[/ul]
  • egghead2004
    Options
    TRex,
    I see you cook yours @ 250 - 265. I see others, me too, cook prime rib @ 350. I'm curious if you have cooked a rib at 350 or so at one time but prefer 250, and why?

• BGE Pit Crew
    Options
    egghead2004, I always do my prime rib this way. Cut bone from meat(keep). Cover roast and bones with entire bottle of worcestershire (8oz). Shake kosher salt, cracked black pepper, and granulated garlic on roast and bones(rub well). Shake dried tyme, rosemary, and oregano on roast and bones(rub well). Get egg ready for 400-450. Get butchers twine, place fresh bacon between bones and roast, then tie. Sear prime rib direct, turning to sear all sides. Remove roast, add drip-pan and v-rack, place prime rib on v-rack and stabilize egg at 300. Egg until 130 degrees internal temp.(rare). Remove and rest for 5-10min. Cut twine, carve and enjoy(keep bones for youself!) DK

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    egghead2004,[p]Here is a link to a post of mine several weeks ago. I go lo-n-slo and do the sear at the end. Good luck whatever way you go!

[ul][li]prime rib[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • BGE Pit Crew
    Options
    thirdeye, That PR looks very tender and juicy! I'll have to try it myself, Thanks, DK

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    egghead2004,[p]Since I cook prime rib indirect, I have always cooked it at "indirect temperatures," i.e., 275F or so. This is a large piece of beef with a lot of fat, so it fits into the low 'n slow for me. In my opinion, this lets more of the fat render. And, trust me, with a prime rib, as long as you take it off the grill at an internal temp of 135 or so, you'll have plenty of juices to go around.[p]To answer your question, though, no, I have never cooked one at 350. I guess it would just shorten the cooking time, perhaps render less fat. I guess I did my first one at 250 - 275 and liked it so much that I never tried anything different.[p]Not sure if this helps answer your question, but I will say that these have turned out GREAT cooked at 250 - 275.[p]TRex
  • egghead2004
    Options
    TRex,
    Well, I think I'll try 275 or 300 next time. I cooked the last one @ 325, but yesterday we were short on time so I cooked my 8.5 # rib @ 375-400. 3hrs later it was done. I pulled it @ 140 as I usualy do, but I think since I was cooking at a hotter temp, internal rose to 152. The meat was very tasty thanks to the cow lick rub, but not very juicy and there was a lot of fat still in the meat.
    Live and learn I guess.

• egghead2004
    Options
    BGE Pit Crew,
    300 sounds like the way to go, and bacon between the rib and roast? That sound good.