Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Can't use garage for awhile (new egg)

Options
Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,674
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Found this nest about 10 days ago with 2 eggs and MOM. 2 days ago found one egg and Jr. pictured here. Guess all my stuff is going to be easy to take for some time.Have to leave door up. No way I can toss out Jr and MOM now……
photo-39.jpg
photo-38.jpg
photo-37.jpg
photo-40.jpg
Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    I've got me a nest of a different kind. My son mowed my yard 3 days ago, I get home and he didn't weed wack/trim. I call him and say hey why......he says because you have a big ass wasp nest in the shed. I said where at in the shed. He says the right door....I'm scurred!!!! :unsure:
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Mickey
    Options
    Molly I will take my nest over yours :ohmy:

Anyone can tell me if one guy is hatched will the other still hatch later? (Not a farm guy)
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    It's been my experience that they will all hatch a few hours to a day apart. Go out tomorrow and you'll probably have two or three in there, maybe more.
  • Mickey
    Options
    Only had 2 eggs. Hate to sound dump, but can you get more than one per egg?

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Aw, Mickey that's the right thing to do. Wait til he's a little bigger and spatchcock him :laugh:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    Options
    They are so cute. It took her a while to make a nest and lay eggs and have babies so you have been using the garage and not disturbing her so far......just tippy toe past the babies ;)
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • Mickey
    Options
    Judy did not notice for the longest time and park every day where you see the hood of the truck.
    Will toss after they fly off (hope soon).....

• Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Options
    Nice brood you have goin there. Just be ready to hose down the ladder as there is going to be a poop fest there as they learn to stand and use their wings. Will be worth is though. Good nesting sites are getting tough to find, especially indoor ones. :woohoo: Your doing Gods work here. Don't let them see the BGE as they will not understand.
  • AuntieEgger
    Options
    Birds will lay anywhere from 2 to 4 eggs. They lay the eggs a couple days apart so they don’t hatch all at the same time. So this bird may lay more eggs yet.
    Do you know what kind of bird it is? If it’s a Robin the baby’s will jump out of the nest before they can fly and the mother will feed them on the ground.
    Only one bird per egg
  • AuntieEgger
    Options
    EEWWWW I hate it when that happens!! Do you know how to get rid of it?
    Wait till dark when all the wasps are in the nest ,, suit up and put gloves on then get a heavy duty green garbage bag. Open the door real slow or don’t close the door to begin with. Put the bag around the nest and pull it down and spray wasp spray in a small opening at the top of the bag to kill them and close the bag with a twist tie.

Now as a precaution so they don’t nest there again get an empty sugar bag and turn it inside out so as it looks like a nest and hang it in the shed and they won’t nest there again.
  • cookn biker
    Options
    So first, thanks. Second, no way in he double hockey stick hell am I going to put that into a yadayada....my heart rate rose just thinking of it....EEEWWWW!!!
    My plan, in a bit I am going to unlock it and come back inside. Tomorrow night I am going to open it, with spray in hand, finger on the trigger, and spray like hell and runn directly into the house. Heart rate beating like the dickens!!!!
    I will however take your inside out sugarbag advise. They have done this for three years straight.
    Thanks!!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
  • AuntieEgger
    Options
    LOL ok do it the hard way just remember that while your spraying they will be attacking you ,, they can and will fly at night if they have to.

I will keep you in my prayers

The sugar bag thing works ,, looks like a nest so they will not nest where another nest is.

Let us know how your wasp extermination goes.
  • cookn biker
    Options
    I've sprayed them on the house with no problem. It's the unknown that freaks me out. I use that shooting spray and RUN!!!!!! :laugh: :laugh:
    Stop freaking me out :( .....guess what I'll be dreaming about... :whistle:
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • AuntieEgger
    Options
    Ok don’t mean to freak you out you are a very brave person! stay calm and assertive with running shoes on and spraycan in hand.
    I usually send the guys in to do the job while myself and the dog stand behind the screen watching LOL
    Hey it looks easy!!! but you should be ok if you’re a fast runner! Think positive and everything will be ok.

Now when the guys go and get them they usually have to climb the tree to get to them but yours in the shed so it’s a lot easier to get to. The one that climbs the tree can’t run so that’s why they use the big garbage bag they have never gotten stung by doing this way yet because they are contained but if you spray they will fly. It depends on how large the nest is too small ones we just spray ,,, well we don’t do anything my husband sprays while I watch behind the screen but he never gets stung. But now I have these sugar bags hanging everywhere and he doesn’t have to spray anymore so he’s real happy about that.

I freaked out last night when I got up and there were two fair sized centipedes in the bathroom so half asleep I had to chase them around and kill them so they didn’t bit my husband in the morning when he got up. My dog usually detects centipedes but I guess she was sleeping.

Ok I’ll be looking for your post tomorrow to see how the extermination went.

Good luck
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    Mickey, why do you have a porthole in your garage? :huh:
  • Mickey
    Options
    Have 2 on that (house) side. Thought would be safer than windows as they are smaller and up higher. Garage is detached.