Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Seafood boil?

Options
BGE Pit Crew
BGE Pit Crew Posts: 149
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all, I'm throwing my own birthday party tomorrow and need a little help. I'll be doing ribs on the eggs, but would like to try a seafood boil. I have a large ss turkey fryer witch I will put water and Old Bay seasoning in. I'm going to get some corn, potatoes, carrots, sausage, and SHRIMP. Question: do you put the sausage in raw? How long for the shrimp? Any other seafood good to throw in? Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks, DK

Comments

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    BGE Pit Crew,
    This might help.
    Larry

[ul][li]Frogmore Stew[/ul]
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    BGE Pit Crew,[p]I used to live in New Orleans and went to several "Crawfish" boils. I do not remember ever seeing sausage in the boil itself. I think it was grilled or not there at all. I remember corn, potatoes and mushrooms in the boil. Mmmm good stuff! Happy Birthday![p]smokey_ani.gif
  • BGE Pit Crew
    Options
    YB, That's what I'm looking for! Thank you very much. DK

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    Smokey,
    We always put smoked sausage (uncooked) in our crawfish and shrimp boils. We also had red potatos, corn, and onions. Never had any mushrooms. I guess its just a matter of what you want to throw in.[p]~nikki

• KevinH
    KevinH Posts: 165
    Options
    YB,[p]We have done a similar boil several times tailgating before football games. To the frogmore stew recipe, I would add two lemons cut in half at the same time as the beer. We also like to throw in other shellfish: crab clusters, lobsters, cherrystone clams, etc. These will take longer to cook than the shrimp, so they should be added a few minutes earlier.[p]One other change is wait to add the corn after the potatoes and sausage have cooked for 10 minutes.
  • BGE Pit Crew,
    You can do the boil with anything in it you want, but not the shrimp. Here is the way to do the shrimp perfect every time. Depending on how many pounds of shrimp you do. Use a pot large enough for the shrimp only. Start out with cool water out of the tap. Cover the bottom of the pot with table salt. Cover the salt with Old Bay. Fill the pot with cool water and stir the salt and Old Bay. Add the shrimp. Make sure the shrimp is covered with water. Sit it on the stove for five minutes allowing the seasoning to get into the shrimp. Turn the stove on high. As soon as the shrimp start to boil, pour them out into the sink and hit them with cold water to stop the cooking. When the rest of the boil in the other pot is finished, start eating. Never put the shrimp in the boil with the other food. They will over cook. I guarrentee this will work every time. [p]Jerry

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    KevinH,
    That really sounds good...We will try it your way next time....Thanks.
    Larry

• BGE Pit Crew
    Options
    BGE Pit Crew, Thank you to everyone! I'll have to try all the different ways to prepare. Have a great weekend. DK