Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ribs

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Who has the best method for cooking ribs? Should they be boiled? Should a drip pan be used? I'm trying to acheive tender, suckulent ribs, like those served in fine restaurants.[p] Thanks for your help,
Cajun Boy

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Cajun Boy,[p]Boil them??? Ahhhh. Never boil - that's why you get an Egg so you can make great ribs without boiling or steaming.[p]Check link below?[p]Tim

[ul][li]-- Tim's BGE Cookbook & etc --[/ul]
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    05_02_0017_06_01.jpg
    <p />Cajun Boy, I think all the forum members would agree with Tim - never boil ribs. There are lots of rib recipes in the recipe index, on Tim's site (previous message) and on my site. The picture is from one of my favorites 'Memphis Style Ribs' - spicy and tender! [p]Good luck and let us all know if you have more questions - the forum is the best cookbook of all![p][p]BTW - once you start making ribs on the BGE, you won't want any more of the ones 'served in fine restaurants' - there is just no comparison.

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Cajun Boy, "suckulent ribs like those served in fine resturaunts"??[p]I have passed that benchmark and still working on the perfect ribs. So far I have reached the "succulent", tender, moist, juice dripping, crusty, golden bronze, nearly fall apart, where the bone slips right out of the meat, and your tongue quivers with the flavor of the "Chinese Red" sauce made with 60 year old bourbon. But still striving for that particular rib that makes ya feel like wings sprouting from your shoulder blades.
    Thats the best I can do with out pics and a link..heeeee.[p]I am working on it...:-)
    Char-Woody

• AbqEgg'r
    AbqEgg'r Posts: 91
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    OK, I'm drooling..headed to store for ribs. What's your favorite recipe to reach this rib nirvana?[p]Thanks, TR

• Char-Woody
    Options
    AbqEgg'r, Any good recipe will do..If your interested in the sauce, I can post it later. Points to consider is to find good thick meaty ribs. Either spares or baby back (pork loin backs) ribs. Spares are IMHO, less meaty than loin backs so I kinda hang with the loin ones.
    I like the mustard/rub combo but a good marinate works too. So dang many ways to make great ribs that its hard to pick one, and I vary my rib techniques from cook to cook just for the experience. I have a new wrinkle that I am trying this afteroon. Nearly time to start the cook now. I am a "no flipping" advocate.
    For fresh starters...take Jslots technique and work with it from the recipe files...NB has a good one too, as well as GFW's and Tim M. They have come a long way. Don't overlook JJ's rib's rubs and sauce as they are one of the benchmark's.
    Cheers..Char-Woody[p]

• Char-Woody
    Options
    I forgot to add..no recipe will work well unless you remember to "don't rush it". Stay under the 250F temps, and take your time. The ribs will tell ya when its meal time.
    Twist one out when the meat has shrunk and about half inch of bone is exposed. Usually if temperature checked the meat is around 190 degrees..plus or minus 10.
    Just stuff floating around in me head...C~W[p]

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    Cajun Boy,[p] I recomend you go to recipe section above, look for new submissions. Then go to pork & move to bottom of list.
    There you will find Eggfest ribs with no-cook BBQ sauce by
    J.W ( Jim Wimer). I tried these at Eggfest & i will do them
    as Jim recomended. Turned out A_1 in my books.

Earl

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    S09_29_9917_43_10.jpg
    <p />AbqEgg'r, as you have more fun with the egg you learn that the best ribs are the ones you made last time. The very best ones are the ones that you'll make next time![p]I make babyback ribs about once every week - the picture is the leftovers of the 1st time following the instructions on Tim M's site, then there are NB's Ginger Mahogany Ribs, Cat's Babyback Ribs, Memphis Style Ribs, Oaxacan Style ribs, etc... [p]Lots of possibilities. I've made lots, but I'm still seeking to find the very best. Good luck!

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • AbqEgg'r
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    I used JJ's cooking method for the first baby backs I ever cooked on the BGE (sans rub), and they were the best we've ever eaten. However, I'm not sure they came up to that mouth watering description you gave :)))[p]I've got a lot of trial and error to do. Next I think I'll try NB's Ginger Mahogany Ribs. Then I need to try using a rub.[p]TR

• Char-Woody
    Options
    AbqEgg'r, you betcha..I have heard good reports on NB's rib method. Reminds me..I have to go check mine..There are many ways to do ribs..but if you want really great ribs, and no fancy frills, and love hickory smoke, then don't put nothing on em but fresh ground peppercorn or Garlic and Peppercorn Char-crust rub, and grill as low and slow as you can go (200f). prep em with a bit of olive oil if you like. Sauce em up the last hour on the grill with your favorites..You will get the maximum affects from your smoking woods. Great smoke rings. Goes for Boston Butts as well as brisket. Dang, wish I had done that today..
    Ho-Boy...check me ribs and snorkling away at 225 deg's Dome temperature..Almost time to do me secret thing..Never flipped em one time..Haven't even peeked. I have four racks BBQ'ing and had room to put another 10 racks of ribs in with em.
    Do that next party time!!
    Cheers..C~W[p]

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    077s.jpg
    <p />Char-Woody,
    Everybody loves ribs,i mean everybody.
    YB

• Char-Woody
    Options
    YB, Now there is a young fella, along with NB's twins that would make a great BGE poster child. Even has his grampa's eyes!
    Thank's...just a thought, I wonder why the older we get the more we love kids. They are spontaneous!!
    Cheers...C~W[p]

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Cajun Boy,
    Everyone has there way of cooking ribs here, but I have found the most tender ribs on the egg are cooked at 275-300 dome temp, a few inches over a water filled drip pan. Cook spares about 3.5-4 hours, and babybacks 3-3.5 hours. Once when I was flipping the ribs towards the end (I was brushing on sauce), the bone slipped right out of the ribs, and I ended up with a bone in my tongs.[p]No foil wrap, or boiling necessary. Don't open the egg until you flip after 2 hours. This is what I have found to produce the best results for me.[p]Good luck!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Unknown
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Thanks for giving me your technique. Can't wait to try it. What about the membrain, do you remove it?[p] Thanks,
    Cajun Boy

• Unknown
    Options
    Tim M,
    Thanks for directing me to your page. I'm sure that I'll use it often.[p]Let me know if you need tips on cooking red beans and rice.[p]I need to go now. I am mis-spelling too many words. Must have drank one glass of wine too many.[p] Thanks again,
    Cajun Boy [p]

• bdavidson
    bdavidson Posts: 411
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    I second that. Matter of fact, I couldn't get enough of the Ginger Mahogany ribs and did another batch tonight! Yum. I had to temper the rib demand (so that I got to eat more of them) by grilling 4 mustard-rubbed T-bones, however! Despite my efforts, the ribs disappeared in no time. Of course, there were no leftovers.

• bdavidson
    Options
    AbqEgg'r,
    After trying NB's Ginger Mahogony ribs, you may be reluctant to keep looking! Just a friendly warning. I gave his recipe a try last weekend and came back to it today. Same deleggtable results. They're delicious. Never tried J-Slots technique, though I understand that they are hard to beat. Cat's ribs were mighty tasty at EF2K, but again, I haven't tried to make them. Nature Boy's recipe is a definite keeper. In fact, after tonight's meal my father in law has decided to buy an egg.

• bdavidson
    Options
    Cajun Boy,
    Yep...remove using a dry paper towel via the Char-Woody technique. Comes right off.

• Char-Woody
    Options
    bdavidson, Thanks for the mention. It still surprises me how fast you can pull em. Once in a while there is a mean one in the bunch tho. Those take over a minute! :-)
    Happy Q'!
    C~W[p]

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Bdavidson,
    Yeeeee Ha!! Great news. Glad you enjoyed.
    Betcha dem t-bones wuz mighty fine.
    How did yall do on the rain yesterday??
    Drizzled here most of the day. Didn't stop me from makin' some chicken and chops.[p]Have a great Sunday
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Cajun Boy,
    Any time! Yeah, like Bd and C~W mentioned, the membrane comes off, and it is no big deal. Helps the marinade, or rub flavor to get into the meat better, and you don't have to deal with it when eating them. Better to do it before you freeze them (if you plan on freezing).[p]Try that method and see how you like it. Always good to try several methods to see which one gives YOU best results.[p]Tried spare ribs the other day at 225-250 over drip pan/liquid for 5 and a half hours, and they were not as moist as the 300 for 3.5-4 hour version. Always worth trying again, as I could have been working with inferior ribs. Never know![p]Happy spearmenting.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • AbqEgg'r
    Options
    bdavidson,
    That gives me one more meal before I eat NB's Ginger Mahogony ribs for ever :) I've mixed up a batch of JJ's rub last night and couldn't help but put some on the baby backs we had picked up at Costco. Tried some with just rub, some with mustard, and I'm going to cook some with nothing at all and just enjoy the smoke flavor.[p]TR

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Cajun Boy,[p]Figure a recipe to cook the red beans and rice on the Egg and let us know. I have only had them when I eat at Popeys Chicken and I am sure those aren't considered the best ones.[p]Tim
  • char buddy
    char buddy Posts: 562
    Options
    bdavidson,[p]I tried Cat's ribs this weekend. Loved the sauce, but I screwed up the time/temp business. I grilled at 220 dome temp for 3.5 hours and they were a little underdone. Next time I'll either go 220 for five hours, or go up to 250, even 300 for only a few hours. [p]The best part of Cat's recipe is grinding the juniper berries and everything else with a mortar/pestle. That took care of a week's worth of tension.
  • bdavidson
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    To be honest we had planned on going camping this weekend. We were going to leave on Friday night and return on Sunday. Friday's rain delayed our start, but then Saturday was no better, so we scrapped the whole thing. Bummer.
    Ribs were an eggcellent concession!
    Thanks.
    T-bones were great. Just a little drizzle at the tail end of the ribbing, but no big deal. Downpour returned again this AM. Currently sunny. We'll see how long that lasts!
    bd

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    char buddy,[p]Cat cooks her ribs direct, standing in a rib rack using 250F dome temp. Making the rub is great therapy. I'd opt for the 5 hours or 250F dome.[p]Congrats on the pizza.[p]Spin
  • Unknown
    Options
    Tim M,
    Fraid the egg is not the place to cook red beans. You need one of those pressure cooker gadgets.