Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Homemade Blower BGE??

WeberWho
WeberWho Posts: 11,018
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anthony posted a link on the Auber Instruments Charcoal Temperature Controller. It has the option of adding a blower attachment. I don't do long enough cooks on the egg to justify the purchase of a guru/stoker for the price. I am now interested in this type of option if I can buy the temperature controller and build a fan around a hundred dollars. So I'm wondering if anyone has any pics or info on a homemade blower for the egg? I have seen many setups on the Weber Smokey Mountain and never the egg. Too cheap to buy the guru blower attachment for eighty dollars. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!
"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    The 4 CFM fan is plenty big enough for a LBGE and it's only $57 plus shipping. You might be able to put one together for less than that, but for the aggravation you might think about just getting one of those.
  • WeberWho
    The blower fan doesn't cost more then $10 shipped for a basic (60mm x 60mm x 15mm Top Motor DC 12V Blower Fan) but was wondering how you would set one up on the egg? They fans are plastic and would melt if kept to close to the bottom draft door. So I'm wondering how I can make some attachment what keeps it in place and far enough to keep it from melting. Some type of housing attachment from the draft door to the blower.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Jeffersonian
    The fan's the easy part. The hard part is getting it to mate up to your Egg without a lot of leakage.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,884
    ???the fan is blowing not sucking - I believe the fins in my Guru are plastic.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Jeffersonian
    If he can do that, sweet. I'd cut my fingers off.
  • WeberWho
    Aluminum flashing might be a good way to transport the air from the fan to the egg. I will keep this in mind. Thanks!

Minnesota
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Look at the post(s) below with the ebay link for several different fans for arround $10 shipped. 4 cfm fan is fine for large & smaller.

A home vent tube (for large or medium egg) less then $6. Cut it to go into the firebox under the fire grate and stick out of the egg a foot or so.

Think duct tape and or a little sheet metal cutting for fan assembly.

venttube.jpg

For those that wonder why the stoker/guru is more expensive. Lets say there are mouse traps and better mouse traps. Some folks can't or don't want to figure out how to do something. Here is your chance to make a better mouse trap.

The whole idea looks like a fun 'home-brew' project. If one goes too fancy then the guru or stoker would be a good option.

GG
  • WeberWho
    Dont you have to enclose the fan somehow? When the fans not running doesn't the air enter around the fins and adjust the temp? So the fan has to be enclosed in some type of box. The box will need some type of port what connects to the bottom vent of the egg.

Minnesota
  • Glad to see you back on the forum, Kent. heard you were under the weather......

Good eggin'
    -Paul
  • Grandpas Grub

Thanks.

I have had all the fun I can stand for a while. I will get a post up later on about what went on. I get worn down pretty quickly so I will be on here and again as I am able.

Kent
  • Anthony
    Anthony Posts: 40
    I agree with why are the more expensive,let me tell you a story.

there was this company that had a machine that did not work. no one could fix it, not even they company that made it. in an act of desperation, they called Joe's Fix-it-all across the street. Joe came over, went in the room, came out ant asked for a hammer, went back in and they heard 3 loud bangs. He sent them a bill for $300. They looked at the bill and sais, "that can't be, he only was in there for a minute and banged 3 times". They asked for an itemized bill. Joe wrote back, $1 for each bang, $297 for knowing where to bang.

Anthony
  • Grandpas Grub

Now we are talking, better mouse trap and more expense and getting closer to the point is it better to buy what's out there or keep going with the project. But I like projects.

The Guru folks solve the problem with a air flow slider. The Stoker folks solve the problem with a gravity driven flap door.

For a 250° burn My DFMT slider is closed and the petals are open about 1/8" at the widest point. The bottom vent is open 1/16" to 1/8". That sort of an adjustment would work well on the home brew setup.

The home brew folks could solve it by adjust the DFMT and making sure that adjustment doesn't move.

or

Cut a slot in the pipe and make a slide of sorts to adjust the free air flow into the fire box. Aluminum foil would also work.

GG
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    How bout something like one of these?

There has to be an intake somewhere, but it looks like with this type you wouldn't move as much air if the blades are not spinning.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Grandpas Grub
    yup, knowledge is golden.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub wrote:

Look at the post(s) below with the ebay link for several different fans for arround $10 shipped. 4 cfm fan is fine for large & smaller.

Is there another link that I am not seeing? The only one I see goes to a Yahoo! storefront not ebay. Everything I am finding on ebay is HUGE!