Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any advice for shipping a BGE overseas?

Rezen73
Rezen73 Posts: 356
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My department has been transferred overseas to Aberdeen, Scotland ... and aside from the obvious (like selling my house, car, etc) my biggest concern is the safe transport of my pride and joy: my BGE.

So, any suggestions on shipping it across the pond? Work is going to pay for it, but I want to make sure it arrives in one piece. Sure, it's going to be insured, but if I'm going to be "stuck" in Scotland for the next 3 years, I damn well want to have my favorite cooking device! The cash doesn't do me much good :D

Anywho, I've been absent from the forums the past several weeks ... went to Las Vegas for 4 days, then had a few days to "recover", then went to Dallas TX for training for a full week... had a wedding to go to, and got the news about the move last Thursday! been insane, not much time to cook properly :)

Except yesterday, I did it up a little bit.

Fish Tacos & Fajita Tacos.

For those that have never tried it, try the grill extender at the bottom of the fire ring, and searing the skirt steak (or whatever protein you so desire) there. Makes for SUPER quick work :)

The grill extender fits perfectly:

IMG_3239.jpg

After just 2 minutes, the skirt steak:

IMG_3240.jpg

Dinner is served (the taco in the back is blackened tilapia - each served with roasted tomato salsa and roasted corn relish, along with lime-cilantro sour cream and roasted pepper guacamole) If you are interested with the recipes/ingredients/method for the sides, let me know :D happy to share!

IMG_3242.jpg

(edit: fix broken images)

Comments

• hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    You're a lucky mutt. Enjoy a nice Tenants Lager for me ;)
  • Rezen73
    Oh, wow. Glad I asked, because I just presumed that it wouldn't be feasible to get one across the pond.

So you've been to Scotland I take it? Any suggestions on places to go, things to do?

As I mentioned, I'll be in Aberdeen ... but my wife and I are super excited about exploring Scotland, England, Wales, Ireland... and of course Europe :D
  • berrygood
    berrygood Posts: 372
    Here's my review of your post. Educational (extender), saliva-inducing (tacos), and envy causing (Scotland=St. Andrews).
  • Rezen73
    Hah, about the weather, this is what I've been told by some colleagues that live there now:

"Aberdeen summer: imagine the best spring days you've ever had, except they last until well after 10pm at night. Aberdeen spring/fall: imagine it raining almost all week, but it only accumulates 2" of rain since it's really only spitting. Aberdeen winter: f'n cold and windy"

lol

so looks like summer is awesome, can't wait :D
  • Rezen73
    lol thanks :-)
  • James MB
    James MB Posts: 359
    How lucky to be coming to Scotland. Remember eggs are way more expensive here particularly shipped up North.

Be glad you will be on the dry and non-midgey side of the country - good whisky too.

Good luck with the move and drop me a line if you need anything when you move, though I'm sure you'll have plenty of local help - my wife was at Uni in Aberdeen for a while and loved it.
  • irishrog
    irishrog Posts: 375
    There is a new importer in UK who also exports to Ireland, and I presume to dealers in Scotland also, and I'm sure he is contactable through Google or BGE home page.
    If you are having trouble finding him drop me a mail and I will get his contact details from my local dealer here in Ireland.
    So why not purchase a new egg while you are in Scotland, and then maybe ship it home , along with the rest of the family, at the end of your trip.
    Greetings from Ireland, Roger.
  • snake701uk
    snake701uk Posts: 187
    Hi, I am an Englishman living in Italy, so if you get down here give us a shout! Eggs in europe cost around 3 times as much as in US. I bought mine from a dealer in Italy. Sourcing good charcoal might be in issue at first, but you are better off in UK than here. Please bear in mind that many things are not so readily available in Europe like your ready made rubs and sauces etc. However it is a good excuse to make your own. Your meat cuts and game will be different to what you are used to, but you are in for a real treat there!
    Andy
  • I spent 5 years in the Highlands - Nairn (near Inverness)

My thoughts
    Your company will likely be taking care of your shipment

I would ship instead of buying in the UK - more cost effective

We didn't have any damage in our overseas shipments.

I would disassemble and pack - the mover will note that you packed and therfore you are responsible for damage but I would package it up well

I would also put a bunch of your favorite lump in the shipment along with some smokin woods.

Haggis - Had it a few times and I would pass but you should try it (just pour some single malt on it B) )

The best place to try haggis is at a "Burns Night" - January 25th is Robert Burns', Scottish Poet Laureat, birthday and Burns Night celebrations are celebrated around the world - they are a blast with Piped in Haggis, The Blessing of the Haggis, Immortal Memory, Toast to the Lassies, and Response from the Lassies.

The weather isn't as bad as people make it out to be - just dress for it

We became professional picnicers - fancy picnic basket with checkered table cloth, plates, forks and knives, etc.

Back to the weather - if you make plans, keep them, don't wait for the weather to get better. We had a couple picnics on the side of Lock Ness in our car. B)

A typical weekend - long drive through beautiful country, a stay at a B&B, and a different route home.

Don't be surprised if your local butcher's chicken and pork has a fishy taste - they are fed fish meal

Buy meats at Marks and Spencer - grain fed

The people are outstanding - you will be a hit with the egg

Oilpatch?

PM me if you have any questions
  • fishon
    fishon Posts: 24
    Why not purchase a new one here in the states but leave it disassembled in the original packing. Have your company ship the new one and put your first one in storage or lend to a friend for 3yrs. That way when you get back you will have TWO eggs and you will have a new egger friend that will HAVE to buy one when you take yours back. :lol:
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Rezen73,

If you are using a reputable mover with a van line association, you shouldn't have any problems. Their insurance would cover replacement cost at your new location. Have you taken any Scottish lessons yet? ;)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    how freaking cool!!!! I envy you your trip and new life temp as it may be. what a great opportunity!! I hope we see lots of pics and updates as you go along. three years will fly wait and see. :) and going with a new egg and leaving in the packaging is what I would really think about, open and double check all is ok and maybe add some extra packing to secure it.
  • Little Steven wrote:
    Have you taken any Scottish lessons yet? ;)

Steve

Like "Wee Steven and the bairns"? :lol:
  • fishon
    fishon Posts: 24
    My wife had a great idea for moving your egg..... DON'T move it. And DON'T buy one in Scotland(3x the cost =$2400!!!) Instead Buy TWO here in the states $800/ea and have your company ship them BOTH over to Scotland. Once there get your new Scottish friends hooked and before you leave, sell the two eggs to them at 2/3 the cost that they could buy one for($1600/ea)..... you will get $3200, making $800 in the deal and enough to buy a second egg when you get home. AND your new Scottish eggers will get an egg for 30% off.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Frank,

Was thinking more like Billy Connolly Glasgow/Greenock stuff. Aberdeen is a lot more like English :laugh:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON