Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-No more BBQ, shrimp, oysters.....beer!!

Options
Midnight Smoker
Midnight Smoker Posts: 273
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I think my life might be over!!! Been battling gout for the last three weeks and I have come to the conclusion......no more of the above!!!! God help me! And considering that I live in shrimp country.....my life is over! LOL.....But I can not and will not put myself through this pain again! I have had small bouts for the last four or five years, but this last one was a MAJOR KILLER! So....on to the meds and away from the good food....at least for a year....until the Allipurinol kicks in. And on top of that....I LOST my sense of smell and taste........I'm falling apart!!! Anyone want to buy four EGGS.....KIDDING!!!! NEVER happen.....

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    Wow. I can only think of ONE thing worse .... but this is a family forum, so I won't mention it. :(

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    Options
    Actually, red wine and red meat are worse than almost anything. Although both of my gout attacks were triggered by Papa John's meat lovers pizzas. LOL. There aren't many things more painful. I had surgery on the great joint of my big toe to clean out the crystals and it felt so good I never took a pain pill afterward. It's been a couple of years and the major change I made was drinking more anti-oxidents(unsweetened cherry juice, green tea) along with fish and flaxseed oil. I haven't had a probelm since. People who have never experienced gout have NO idea how painful it is.
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    I feel your pain. Just finished another mega-dose of prednisone to ease swelling and pain in my ankles and knees and increase to 300mg daily of Allopurinol. Pain is miserable. If you're much like me, your diet is like a laundry list of things NOT to eat if you suffer from gout. Good luck.

Mark
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    Wow man. That's horrible. Hope you get it straighened away. I can't imagine and I don't want to experience it. Sounds rough as hell.

On the plus side if you mess something up on the EGG you won't taste it. You'll only be able to judge by the looks on other folks faces as they eat the food. ;>

Does the sense of taste and smell come back?
  • Schwadamaga
    Options
    Lost your sense of smell and taste? ... ... wow.. I'm not even sure what to say. I'm sorry, hang in there... Well it might be a good time to start a tofu diet! :p
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your troubles. Hope in time you get better. Tim :)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    i would cut the toe off :ermm: is it the medicine stopping taste and smell
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Willie
    Willie Posts: 132
    Options
    Sorry about your gout, it hurts like hell. Get some Black Cherry Pills from a health food store, and take one or two every day. They work and are not expensive.
    Good Luck
    Willie.
  • Midnight Smoker
    Options
    fishlessman wrote:
    i would cut the toe off :ermm: is it the medicine stopping taste and smell

No, I lost my sense of smell from getting hit in the ose with a halyard from a sailboat! No break.....just lost the senxe of smell and in turn my taste. The ENT Doc syas it should come back slowly....thank God! It's pretty freaky not being able to smell anything.....it makes telling if mlk bad a VERY dicey job.....especially if you can't taste as well....lol!!!