Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Brisket Instructional Videos

GeorgiaBorn
GeorgiaBorn Posts: 178
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey everyone. You guys have given me so much help the last 10 months with my BGE and I have also used YouTube for much help with many different cooks, that I decided it was time to give back to the BBQ community.

Below are three links to a series of videos I posted to YouTube that chronicle the steps I took on my brisket this past weekend. It starts with the prep of the brisket and finishes with burnt ends and slicing the flat. I hope these videos help those of you that are tackling a brisket for the first time. And for those of you that are already pros at this, I hope you just enjoy watching my 18 hour adventure this past weekend.

Part 1 of 3, The Prep
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abwzGVBeQtc&feature=channel

Part 2 of 3, From Ignition To Takeoff
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ-MTeWycw8&feature=channel

Part 3 of 3, Burnt Ends to Slices
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOtbeM5pPVQ&feature=channel

Thanks again to those of you that have helped me over the last 10 months.

Comments

• FatMike
    FatMike Posts: 464
    Thank you for your time. I have done one brisket that was bad so I will try again utilizing your techniques and see what happens.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Excellent tutorial, GB. Thanks for all of the effort you put into that.
  • Hard to tell from the video, but did you get much of a smoke ring? I just cooked my first briskit Sunday and didn't get much of one. Thinking I may add more wood after the 2nd hour of cooking next time. (still came out very tender and juicy).
  • snake701uk
    snake701uk Posts: 187
    Thanks for the share. I will try similar, but am just wondering where I can get those industrial amounts of rub. LOL. I am an Englishman living in Italy so have to make them myself. Looks real good. Andy
  • Honestly, I think smoke rings are overrated! I don't ever seem to get one but on the briskets I have done with that do have a smoke ring, there is absolutely no difference in flavor.

This brisket had no smoke ring. Some say if you put the brisket on the smoker cold (right out of the fridge), you increase your chances of a smoke ring. I let my brisket sit out for about 45 minutes before putting it on the Egg.

I would be careful adding more wood. Beef will absorb more of the smoke than other cuts of meat and personally, I don't want the smoke flavor to be overbearing.
  • I got my rub from Texas BBQ Rub Inc. I am not sure if they ship internationally. I guess it can't hurt to ask them. I have tried many rubs and has I said in the video, this is by far the best rub I have ever used.

It's no wonder that one of their rubs won Grand Champion last October in Kansas City. They mix their rubs to order. They don't sit around in bags waiting to be shipped.

Here is their website:

www.texasbbqrub.com
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Nice videos. Thanks.

That's pretty much how I do mine, except for the burnt ends.

I have also used Texas BBQ Rub for several years, and wouldn't think of using anything else on briskets.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Chuter
    Chuter Posts: 7
    Excellent video! I've had my egg for a few years but never did a brisket because I didn't know how. I will not be afraid to try one now after seeing your video. What do you do with the burnt ends? Thanks for your effort.
  • Cruezn
    Cruezn Posts: 317
    Thanks for taking the time to create and post the videos. I'll watch them later (darn work moderators...), but will be interested to see how you do it. I've done two, and they've been fantastic, so I've been considering videoing the same. My only issue was the rub was too spicy last time. I use a home-made rub, and overdid the cayenne, I guess. I've had a very good smoke ring both times. I use 5 fist sized chunks of hickory (4 evenly spaced around the outside, and 1 in the middle) in my large. I don't soak, and I do inject, rub and put back in fridge while I start the egg. Maybe letting it warm up does affect the ring? I ended up putting an old fridge from my buddy in my garage just for BBQ, and beer.... I call him Brëwno
  • Ah, the burnt ends! The indescribable delicious morsels of BBQ heaven! Chuter, you eat them thangs! And you eat them slowly so you can experience every last morsel.

Honestly, I would probably prefer to do the whole brisket as burnt ends. These were my best yet and they disappeared very quickly. Some people don't actually care for them because the BBQ flavor is very intense. As you see in the video, I put more rub on the point and put it back on the Egg for 3 hours, then I cubed the point and put the cubes back on the smoker for another hour. Some people will toss the ends in BBQ sauce before serving them, but after I tasted them I saw no need to add anything to them. Nothing could have improved their flavor.
  • snake701uk
    snake701uk Posts: 187
    Thanks, I should be state side within the month so I will try and pick some up then. My compliments. My local Italian butcher is now worried how he will get me the brisket. Lol. Andy