Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dome Temperature

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just got my large BGE today, and am firing it up for the first time. Tonight we're gonna have some baby-back ribs, and I figure about 3 hours at 220 should do them up right. I have seen several references to the fact that dome temperature is not the best indicator of a true cooking temperature.[p]What's the general rule for converting dome temperature to actual cooking temperature? -25 degrees or so?

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Smoov-E-Luvman, welcome to the world of the BGE... you'll love the results.[p]The temps and times posted on the forum and for various recipes usualy refer to dome temperatutes. You'll also see a reference to internal temperatures and that is the actual temperature of the item being cooked - usually taken with a polder or other thermometer.[p]Love ribs - However, at 220 degrees dome you'll probably be looking at more than 3 hours unless you are cooking direct. For 3 hours you may want to increase the dome temp to 325-350 degrees if doing indirect.

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Smoov-E-Luvman, just for the record..the dome temperatures are a common denominator when clicking in with our recipies and techniques..Don't ask me why, just cause it's there I guess and pretty good temperature guage for the dome. Your grill surface temperature is gonna vary so dang much from drip pans and firebricks and whether you use double grills or single grills ect. Do you follow along here?? So the dome temperature is what we all refer to when we calibrate our menu's..If we don't then we can really get into a big round of "what if's" and undercooks and overcooks. So when we do a adaption, or change up in our methods..its stated as "Dome Temperature". Calibrate the thermometer in boiling water, (I will let someone else explain how) so you know your close + or - a few degrees.
    Good luck..and welcome to the forum..Big handle..
    Char-Woody[p]

• Teslamania
    Teslamania Posts: 144
    Options
    Smoov-E-Luvman,[p]Congrats on the purchase. Most of us cook ribs till they are pulling back a bit off of the end of the bone. Are you doing them direct or indirect? Indirect you can go to a higher dome temp, and not flip them. Direct you need to rotate and/or flip your ribs. Check out GFW's website or Tim M's site for pics. Here is a link to Tim's site
    [ul][li]Tim M's web page - helpful pics and hints for the BGE user[/ul]
  • Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    Smoov-E-Luvman,[p] Welcome to the forum, your going to love your Egg. When
    we do baby backs, the first thing we do is to remove the
    membrane using a knife & paper towel. The next step is
    to rub all over with J.Js rub & let rest for a few hrs.
    Egg temp set at 300F, place ribs directly on the grill bone side down. I do not us a heat shield of any kind when
    cooking ribs. For two long slabs it will take somewhere
    close to 2 hrs or so . As the others recomend, keep a
    watch on things after 1 1/2 hrs, you will be looking for
    the meat shrinking to expose 1/4" of the bone end.
    Let us know how thing work out. I also and 2 chunks of
    hickory wood.

Earl

• Unknown
    Options
    All,[p]Thank you for the great advice. I just flipped the ribs on my new BGE and all looks well. BTW, I am using the direct method, and did remember to remove the membranes. I filled up my firebox to about 3 inches above the vent holes initially, and left to have a beer after I had lighted with fireplace starter bricks and had closed the top. When I got back after a while, the dome temp was at 500 degrees. I've had to have the bottom vent closed and the top iron vent nearly closed to keep heat down to around 240 degrees.[p]Anyway, after we eat the ribs tonight, I'm going to add more charcoal, a drip pan, and a pork butt and go all night.[p]-Breaking it in right in Kansas City