Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thin crust pizza try out

Options
Clay Q
Clay Q Posts: 4,486
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Did the overnight dough and rolled it out very thin on parchment then slid onto a pizza pan. I pre-baked the crust 5 minutes at 525 degrees dome, something new for me to try.
BGEThincrustpizza001.jpg
Tossed on the toppings without sauce. My thinking was to keep moisture off the dough but the fresh mozzarella is high moisture so I first tossed on thin sliced provolone then the mozz then the rest of the toppings.
BGEThincrustpizza010.jpg
Made 4 pies. Multi tasking with the pre-bake had me running into the house, up the stairs, into the kitchen and back down again. I'll set up assembly outside next time. ;)
I'm getting close but not there yet. I think my dough was a little too dry to start with. Or should I go to a higher heat...600 degrees? We enjoyed this pizza and I really liked the fresh tomato and pepperoni. We did not miss the sauce at all.
BGEThincrustpizza007.jpg
I'll keep at it.
BGEThincrustpizza006.jpg

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Looks like you nailed the thin part Clay. Ingredients that you can't beat. Was the dough dry to touch? You are a great baker so I don't know what to tell you exept keep at it man!! I'm learning through you!! :)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    Your crust looks great. I'm a huge fan of thin crust. Did you brush the crust with olive oil before baking? I'm not sure how helpful it is, but it seems to help keep the tomato sauce from penetrating the crust.

Keep posting.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • Clay Q
    Options
    I truly enjoy thin crust style of pizza. Not much toppings, you can taste each ingredient, crispy crust and it seems I can eat more of this type than the extra everything style,...you know what I mean?
    So I'm trying to make it at home. The egg and setup is right on for pizza so now it's a matter of figuring out the dough, the dough is so important it determines the outcome, good or bad or gourmet great. I'm not good at measuring, go by eye and feel. That's kind of a no-no for consistent results with pizza dough. But I'm getting close.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    That looks great Clay, one trick I learned from Americas Test Kitchen is to roll the dough out on parchment covered with plastic wrap. Then remove the plastic and top. You can really get a super thin crust. -RP
  • Clay Q
    Options
    No brushing of olive oil and no sauce. I went sauceless. :ohmy:
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Interesting separation there. I've tried a few thin crusts but have never gotten one where I wanted it. I am after a mix between a sicilian style and a cracker-crisp style with a good crunch to it.

I wonder it the pre-bake is what got the layering started like that.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    That's a great tip Randy!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Clay Q
    Options
    That's a great idea, thanks!
  • Clay Q
    Options
    There were some pockets formed although I forked the heck out of each crust. There were a few pockets I had to push down before putting on the toppings. I believe the pre-bake helped me with a crunchy crust. But I want it crisper and very thin. That's my goal.
  • h20egg
    h20egg Posts: 168
    Options
    I'm an amateur at pizza, had some great but lately too wet. I don't use fresh mozzarella for that reason, but even with conventional, last Fridays was just plain soggy. I think my stone may not have been hot enough, but was thinking about pre-baking the crust a bit to seal it from the wet. For sauce I've been roasting fresh tomato slices about 1/2" think with garlic, then mashing and straining to get rid of the water. Pretty tasty, don't think it's soaking the crust, but I'll keep experimenting. Good thread of ideas.
  • KB
    KB Posts: 144
    Options
    I let my Egg heat for an 1 hour after it reaches cooking temp before I cook my pizzas. I cook three every weekend, and I don't have dry crust. I check the bottom by lifting it slightly after about 6 minutes. Thin crust pizza cooks quickly and 500 to 600 plus degrees; when the bottom starts to brown, I remove it. Sometimes, I reheat a slice before eating it while the egg is still hot.