Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Curing a ham?

Big E
Big E Posts: 51
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Had a whole hog go into the butcher today and I always have them cure the hams. Just for something different I thought about curing my own. Is this a diffucult process or do I let them do it again? They do an awesome job for me everytime. I just like trying different things.

Comments

• Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    This a case for the Stike Man!

Seriously, if you're thinking about curing your own meats, you can't go wrong with this book. I personally haven't done a whole ham yet (probably because I don't care for ham), but everything else I've done from Ruhlman has been exceptional: Bacon, Canadian bacon, pastrami, etc. I'm planning on tasso ham soon, maybe next week.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    It is a pretty intensive process.
  • i didn't find it intensive at all. there are a couple ways of doing it, but it's essentially; 1.)inject a pickle near the bone 2.)apply a dry cure on the exterior
    3.)toss in the fridge and wait a week-ish.

one of the many things i like about curing is the payoff is much greater than the effort. it's far more intensive to make 5 pounds of sausage than 20 pounds of ham ;)
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Big E...I do a lot of curing. If your guys do a good job curing your hams, allow them to do so. If you truly have an interest in curing, start with something like the belly, a loin, or a small butt. Don't commit yourself to the ham until you know that curing and smoking is something you enjoy, and can pull off. JMO!! It is truly a relatively easy process, but there is science and formulas behind it. Do a small cure or 50 before you jump to the whole ham. ;)
  • is simply 'brining' it in the pickle with no injecting at all. there's debate about flavor and 'bone taint', but the first one i did i did this way. really simple. takes comparativelylonger though.

-stike
  • Big E
    Big E Posts: 51
    Thanks to all for the input. Just put my feelers out there to see where I should start when it comes to curing if I dare to.
  • Hoss
    My bad.I remember my Grandfather curing hams in the smokehouse.It was a lotta work and took forever.I guess it's like anything else there are quick fixes for anything nowdays. :whistle: :(
  • Hoss
    Bellies,loins and stuff to start with.JMHO. :)