Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggotoberfest demo package, PITA?

Options
SmokeyPitt
SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a friend who is interested in an egg and I was planning to suggest picking up a demo from Eggtoberfest. However, I was just looking at the the form here and it seems like kind of a PITA. You have to pay with credit card by fax or email (which is not secure). All sales are final, no refunds, and no credits...Remember, there may be a long line to pick up EGGs, so please be patient." The price is $710. That seems like a lot of trouble/risk to save a couple of hundred bucks. Is it just me?

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

Comments

• just remember, there is the added element this year that the fest is off-site, so they are gonna have to lug all those eggs to the track... so their wanting to have assurances that all deals are final isn't really out of line
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I would stand in line most any day to save a couple hundred bucks.
    I'm sure your local dealer would love your money for a much shorter line and one on one service.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    I'd call the mothership and express your concerns about the security of the credit card information. Who knows they might take it over the phone or let you send it via snailmail. As for waiting, what do you expect when you go to an event with a couple thousand people and maybe a couple hundred demo eggs being picked up? You could always find a smaller Eggfest to go get a demo egg. Waldorf MD was no big deal about getting the Egg in a timely fashion, for example. Don't know where you are located, but there are still about 9 Eggfests left this year.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    The purchase of demo eggs this year is through the regional distributor and not through the BGE retail store, as it has been in years past.

It has always been the same method of pickup (except local people could go by the mothership in the week following the fest to pick up their egg).

In all, it's worth the savings to wait in line a couple hours, and the security of your credit card over email or fax is infinitely better than every time you hand it to a waiter who walks away to run your card in a restaurant - but do you give it a second thought? You credit card is safe, and if you don't sign for a fraudulent transaction you have no liability for it anyway. I wouldn't be concerned (and I am in the credit industry).
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    it is justy you i have bought two eggfest eggs and love them more than the line i sat in

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    The Eggtoberfest is a lot more than just saving a couple hundred bucks on an egg. Simply seeing all these great cooks cook is worth that amount in learning value. So, now you have a $400 savings. Add in the fun, and the egg is damn near free. Just sayin ;-)
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • nlsteve
    nlsteve Posts: 44
    Options
    I think there is a difference in risk between sending your credit card info by email and by fax.

My understanding is that sending credit card info by email is fairly risky -- your email could be picked off by someone else who is pretty untraceable. I would never do it.

Sending by fax is quite a bit more secure, since it simply uses the phone line plus the human(s) on the other end. Less vulnerable than the Internet.

Steve
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    hey chris

hows the fishing trip schedule looking this year?

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    You also get $80.00 worth of Eggtoberfest tickets with the package.

Larry

EACH DEMO PACKAGE includes a n external temperature gauge,
    dual function metal top, DVD, manual, EGG Nest, grill gripper, ash tool,
    box of fire starters and a 20# bag of Big Green Egg lump charcoal
    PLUS 2 WEEKEND TICKETS TO 2010 EGGtoberfest
    while supplies last
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options
    Sending Credit card numbers via e-mail is not considered secure by Payment Card Industry standards. Sending via fax is acceptable.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    You do realize that email and fax operate over the same copper lines, right? It's all just a bunch of ones and zeroes.
  • nlsteve
    nlsteve Posts: 44
    Options
    Yes (to oversimplify the response).
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    No idea how any schedules are looking, but fishin' always sounds good!
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Good point. Unless you fax it to the wrong number....and that number happens to be a fax number owned by an evil untrustworthy soul. Then you're dead meat.

Smiley face inserted.
    See you at the fest.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • bertreese
    Options
    Probably too late, anyway. The estimate I heard was they were sold out mid-day 8/2.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    All very good points- perhaps I was making too big of a deal out of the credit card thing. I did find it a little odd that you have to pay the entire amount up front as opposed to a reasonable deposit. However, factoring in the $80 in egg fest tickets it is a more like 3 hundo in savings. If they are sold out then I suppose my point is moot and that proves that plenty of people were fine with the terms ;).

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.