Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Want to buy a small Egg

Mark from Utah
Mark from Utah Posts: 52
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi,
I have a large BBE and want to buy a small Egg, mainly to cook steaks and hamburgers on. Is it reasonable to think that a small would be better for fast hot cooks (I usually only cook for two or three people)?[p]From studying the pics of the small it looks like they do not have a lower vent like the large. If that is the case, how do you adjust the temp.?[p]Do they usually come with a daisy wheel, or do you have to order that seperately?[p]My local dealer, although usually friendly and helpful, does not seem too interested in ordering a small in for me so I am going to order it on-line. Does anyone out there have a good on-line source for both price and customer service (if needed). [p]Also, is there a good on-line source for a table for the small? If not, I will order the stand.[p]I would like to get it sooner, rather than later, since I am having a hip replaced in three weeks and want to use it before surgery since I will not be barbequing for at least a month after surgery, unless I can talk my wife in to doing it. [p]Thanks in advance for your help, Mark from Utah

Comments

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Mark from Utah,[p]I spoke with many many people at the fest in atlanta, and to a person, they all said the same thing: [p]If you have the large, get a small and it's all you'll need. [p]It gets hot twice as fast and cooks on half the fuel. It's perfect for two people steaks and ABT's and tenderloins and stuff like that. Save the big for 4 or more and lo and slo's and you'll be fine. [p]The small will make your egging life complete.[p](Unless you need a mini for traveling, that is...)[p]For more, ask Sally or WessB.
  • Mark from Utah,the small is a fantastic cooker. It is, indeed, great for hot fast cooks as the grill is closer to the coals. It uses less charcoal than the large and can be used for low temp long cooks as well.It comes with a lower vent and daisy top just like the large. I think the Naked Whiz has some dealers listed on his site...he may chime in with an idea.

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Mark from Utah,
    You will absolutely love the small. It is a steak cooking machine. Things cook differently on a small than they do on a large due to the closeness to the coals, and most of the time that is a good thing.....I typically use mine just as you mentioned, but if you look on my website in the "tips" section you can see a couple of ways to do indirect cooking with the small, and in the "cooks" section you can see several items cooked on the small....The small has a lower vent just like the large, a daisy wheel doesn`t typically come with it but many dealers offer different "packages" for different prices that may or may not include one...I cant help you with the on line dealers, but if you go to Whiz`s site, www.nakedwhiz.com, he has a good links section...I also cant help with the table, I built my own and then I built it into my outdoor kitchen/tiki bar/table..LOL...If your wife cooks on the large she will have no trouble with using the small, it does have a slight learning curve, but you`ll get the hang of it quick enough...HTH[p]Wess

• Mark from Utah,
    I have a large and small, it is the way to go. this past week went like this..
    Last night - crunch chicken wings -Large
    Tuesday - Salmon -small
    Monday - Smoked ribs - Large
    - Strip steaks - small
    Sunday - 2 spatchcock chickens - Large[p]
    You get the point.

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Mark from Utah,
    Yes they have a lower vent just like all the sizes. Just wanted to clear that point up for you.[p]I had a small for 16 years before it got destroyed during a move. I never had a daisy wheel for it and just used the ceramic top to control the top vent. I imagine a lot of the stuff you will do will be at full blast so the daisy wheel may not be a big issue, but just so you know you can achieve any temp with the ceramic top.[p]HTH

• katman
    katman Posts: 331
    Mark from Utah,
    I added a small in August. I will do exactly what you are seeking--steaks, burgers, a small chicken or parts--I do my quick meals for two on the small. I was tempted to do a 6 lb rib roast on it sunday but ended up using the large. don't want the big guy to feel neglected.[p]The package I got included the small, daisey wheel, video (haven't looked at it)nest, bag of BGE lump.

• Mark from Utah,
    I know where you are coming from, the lacal dealer here in Utah (super people) have issues with shipping costs. I try to support them when I can but sometimes you have to go elsewere.
    The Barbeques Galore in Henderson Nevada might be a source for you. Only five hours away and you can make it a weekend in Vegas while you’re there! Give them a call and work out a price before you go. I’v found with some sweet talk’en they are very competitive. S-N-M!

• Smoke-N-Smirk!,
    I was beginning to think that I was the only one from Utah using the BGE. [p]You are right about the dealer here. Super nice and helpful - delivered and set up my large BGE for me and showed me how to use it, but do seem to have a hang-up on shipping. [p]Where abouts in Utah do you live? I live in West Valley. Mark from Utah

• Smoke-N-Smirk!,
    I was under the impression that BBQs Galore didn't handle anything but large Eggs, even for ordering. Do they handle the other sizes?[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Mark from Utah,
    Here's a link to my links page, which has links to all the on-line dealers that I know about. Good luck![p]TNW

[ul][li]The Naked Whiz's Ceramic Links Page[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • Smoke-N-Smirk!,
    I'v bought or sold for Henderson BBQ's Galore about 8 BGE's. Ask for Ed Fisher, He's the manager and a really great guy. He will make you some good package deals--See-Yaa

• The Naked Whiz,
    Yea, they can order any size you want. We've bought them all. They don't carry much in the way of accessories though. I usually get them direct from Atlanta. See-Yaa