Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

more camping pics

Options
Mainegg
Mainegg Posts: 7,787
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
4b72d41c.jpg
4a1d3168.jpg
granddaughter just getting up
a52ef08e.jpg
taters
bbeedaec.jpg
banana bread
019.jpg
020.jpg
lobster rolls
021.jpg
cookies
039.jpg
end of one of Jays bread rolls
080.jpg
eggs and my view
081.jpg
kitchen
083.jpg
warming or melting spot
091.jpg
blackberry tart
079.jpg
the turkey pot was only used to cook the lobster stew and heat dish water. :) it was my sink LOL
123.jpg
132.jpg
eb06e624.jpg
008.jpg
071.jpg
085.jpg
8ce9469f.jpg
0e22e106.jpg
lobster stew
5b1c6423.jpg
rug I was working on this week

Comments

• Susan Egglaine
    Options
    My goodness :) I was trying to think of something else to say but does it ;)
  • Mainegg
    Options
    it was 75 acres of heaven. weather was great except for the night we were going to take the grand kids to the fair and it rained. no power, no water and an out house. very quiet except when the big boys were playing. they decided to clean and clear some fields and cut wood :( two tractors, weed eaters, chain saws, bush hog 4wheelers and about any toy they need to work. it was worth it as we watched deer every morning with our coffee LOL I cooked and watched and hooked and drank coffee or beer :)his folks were happy as all the kids were there most of the time and we all got to spend quality time together. all the nieces and nephews came and went and it was worth he 12 hour drive. the camper is a 1957 Shasta we have been working on. it is not polished there :( my job on them LOL his folks and sister and brothers all have big huge 5th wheels and campers with pull out's bigger than our whole camper :) but we had fun.
  • WingRider
    WingRider Posts: 326
    Options
    Julie,

Is that a new griddle? and what size Egg does it fit?
  • kricks
    kricks Posts: 244
    Options
    Wow. Wonderful pics. And wonderful cooks as always and to have your family there. You surely had a great time. But then there is your PC... it think it was just jealous!
  • Mainegg
    Options
    It is a cheepie I picked up a while ago, not sure where. is is enameled on the out side and no stick inside. it will fit my med but happier on the large. perfect for cookies. and I used it for the coffee cake to speed up the cook and make it go further. worked great! the taters on it were better as they really caramelized and did not soak into it like the ones on the stone did.
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Looks like a fantastic time!

Mike
  • Scotty's Inferno
    Options
    Wow. What an effort went into that trip. That's impressive. Scott
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    I can see you're 'roughin it' Julie, lol. That is some cook's camp there with three Eggs! :) Poor things having to get by on lobster rolls, lobster stew, blackberry tart, and other savory and sweet things. Looks like a great place to relax and let the world go by. :)
  • asianflava
    asianflava Posts: 313
    Options
    Nice camper! Is it a Metzendorf?
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Looks like a great time...can't wait for the mini fest. :)
  • Mainegg
    Options
    LOL no it is a 1957 Shasta that we have been restoring. has a front dining and back bed and little side kitchen. perfect for the two of us. and I can stand up full in it :)
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Options
    Now that is a camping kitchen :laugh:
    Great looking food.
    All my camping is based on a lot of cookin :) and the odd brewski :evil:
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Looks like a mightyfine getaway :)

I see y'all were kinda roughing it on the eats B):lol:
  • MtnBlue
    MtnBlue Posts: 109
    Options
    I love your "warming or melting spot"! Very neat!
  • Mainegg
    Options
    that is a small metal plant stand. I use it to set up a low second layer or just on the plate setter with a pan on it for indirect. it will also hold the Pyrex coffee pot in the morning to keep the coffee hot LOL it also holds a couple of my mini cast iron pans up off the stones or grate is I need them higher. I love that silly thing!
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Hi Julie. You did some serious egging I see. I know it was fun and I'm glad you guys got home safe.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Serial Griller
    Options
    Julie,
    What a camping trip..and eggfest.Man! You were cooking!
    I have to ask where did you get the cast iron used for the cookies and the piece you cooked the blackberry tart & lobster stew in?
    It fits the egg perfectly. Ingenius warmer set up!
    Great cooks.
    Love the photos.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Julie, I can't even imagine how you would plan cooks for 10 days in an outdoor kitchen with no sink!! I am having trouble planning food for a 2 day fest with a kitchen!!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

• Mainegg
    Options
    Jon, that is the same pan for the coffee cake, cookies and the black berry tart. it is a big round cast iron pan with only about a 3/4 inch lip around it. I will see if there are any marking on it. I love that thing too! the stew we did on the big gas burner thingy as I had about 4 lbs of meat in there and lots of other goodies. would not fit on the egg and I only had my med dutch oven.
  • Mainegg
    Options
    ha ha Faith we took everything that was in the freezer so it was all frozen and just packed it in our extreme cooler. we had frozen 4 jugs of water to help it last and give us water for coffee. and then I just cooked what had thawed LOL really winged it. we did have to add maybe 8 blocks of ice over the whole ten days to keep everything cold and safe. and we had another cooler for beer and wine and another for milk and eggs and butter and such so we did not open the "freezer" unless we had to. we had tons of vegis from the garden and spices and basics from the kitchen so we could do any good basic foods. nothing fancy really if you look at it LOL and at the fest we are trying to show off :) these are all simple meat and tater people. as long as the belly is full they are happy :) the cookies were the biggest it each evening! I just took a scoop with me and got the huge tub of dough at Sams and we did them after dinner;)my flat griddle would hold about 15 if I kept the scoops light.
  • Mainegg
    Options
    oh and the sink was not as big an issue as the out house :blink: I did water in the big soup pot on the turkey burner and did dishes not a problem... and had two jugs of spray Clorox for wiping the counters down so I was OK with all that.... but the no shower for 10 days...... amazing what baby wipes will do :P :woohoo: and we did sneak over to the in-laws the night we were going to that fair and jumped in the shower so not the whole 10 days :laugh:
  • crzyedna
    crzyedna Posts: 56
    Options
    Julie, Good to see you back, I was getting worried at not seeing you on the forum. Glad you had a nice visit with Neil's family.

Edna
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Seriously Julie, that was really roughing it. I had no idea. I guess that's why my idea of camping is to hole up in a Hilton!

• asianflava
    Options
    It looks a lot like the Metz. Props to ya, I was really debating on taking one egg camping, much less 3 of them. I'm glad I brought it though.

1970 Metzendorf
    album_pic.php?pic_id=58387
  • Mainegg
    Options
    SWEET!! is it a bunk set up in the back?? ours has the brackets still for the hammock that would have hung over the back bed for a small child to sleep in. I love these old things. and it looks like yours has the center well that you step down in to? our other one is a Scotty and has the center well so it sits lower. hate that little pit! LOL I am kind of tall and large and I about kill myself getting in and out of it. I believe yours were built to be able to store in a garage, kind of low profile? we are redoing a '61 Falcon station wagon to haul this one. thanks for sharing. and the eggs are a dream to travel with other than loading and unloading. only thing we did not do on the egg was coffee each morning and the lobster stew.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Great set of pictures Julie!! Looks like a great way to spend with the family!
    Love the rug in progress!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • asianflava
    Options
    Unfortunately that isn't my trailer, it belongs to someone on another forum that I frequent. Here is a link to his thread:

http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/album_pic.php?pic_id=58387
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    OMG,that is beautiful.I wanna be ya'll!Looks like everybody had a BLAST!The Farm and FOOD is AMAZING!!!,I'll keep buying lottery tickets!!! ;) God bless you and yours!!! :)