Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Rib Question

EggscriberEggscriber Posts: 276
edited 2:12AM in EggHead Forum
Hi Forum.

We are having a little party later and I have six large racks of ribs to cook. I was hoping to shoehorn all six into my large BGE. I have an adjustable rig and lots of racks etc. I have a second large but didn't want to have to use it. Do you have advice on how to get six full racks in one large? I'd be willing to cut some or all of them.

Thanks!
·

Comments

• good luck haha. make sure you leave a little room for air to circulate
    ·
  • h20eggh20egg Posts: 168
    I'm no rib expert, but if you think it'd be tight and an option is to enroll a second egg, I'd fire them both up. You didn't say baby back or full ribs, if full I would think getting six in a large would be tight.
    ·
  • rzrrobrzrrob Posts: 162
    I did 6 full last night and then dropped two full chickens on also and ran out of room on my xl so I cut one rack in half and stacked then like logs

Two racks vertical then the two halfs horz then two full racks vertical again

They came out great
    ·
  • SGT BBQSGT BBQ Posts: 190
    If there baby back ribs you will have no problem. Your rib rack should be able to handle six slabs. Use foil under the ends of the ribs that extend past your plate setter.
    ·
  • JeffersonianJeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    I've cooked as many as eight slabs of spares at once on my Large using the AR, Spider and pizza stone. I cut two of the slabs in half and left the other six whole. Here's the setup:

Four slabs - half-whole-whole-whole-half - in inverted V-rack
    18" grid

Adjustable Rig with *no* bars or oval grids

Four slabs - half-whole-whole-whole-half - in inverted V-rack
    18" grid

16" pizza stone
    Spider
    Bottom
    ·
  • WessBWessB Posts: 6,937
    There are pictures on the ceramic grill store website illustrating 6 racks and the set up used to cook them all laying flat..
    http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/ceramicgrillstore/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=73&Itemid=228
    ·
  • EggscriberEggscriber Posts: 276
    You all were right. They fit in pretty easily. B)
    I had to shorten a few of the real long racks but all is well.
    Thanks! :)
    ·
  • mb168mb168 Posts: 265
    I can't find it any more but someone had a pic a while back on here of 21 (I think) baby backs on a large with one grate. They were all on edge and whole. didn't seem like much airflow left but it supposedly worked. This is why I bought an XL though, mainly for rib cooks and the large for everything else :)
    ·
  • mb168mb168 Posts: 265
    oops, double post
    ·