Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Multiple Pizzas at Once?

Options
Wazoo
Wazoo Posts: 150
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've done back-to-back pizza cooks w/o problem. Has anyone tried (and succeeded) doing two at once? I tried it a few years ago and one always seemed to cook faster than the other - one would burn and the other be undercooked, etc. What is the secret, if there is one -- assembly line action for a big crowd of "customers?"

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    I would have to say..get a pizza oven..or continue to do one after the other..don't mess with success..the anticipation can be half the reward..look at the post earlier documenting the temp difference from PS to pizza stone..it only stands to reason if you put another stone in ..even higher up then the first one..that the temps would be nowhere near where you want to cook a pizza..
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    Two Eggs at the same time :woohoo:
    Kent Madison MS
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    More Eggs...!

Prebaked crusts?

Bigger Za's... maybe on an XL?

Pappa John's!!...lol!!

The whole "stacked" thing just doesnt work for baking in an Egg. (at least in my experience)!

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    now there's a concept I didn't consider..LOL..
  • EggZactly
    Options
    ... was my hubby's solution to EVERYTHING!!!!
  • Wazoo
    Options
    All good ideas... If you have a big crowd, I guess you could use a double-stack rack and remove the one that cooks first, shift the cooking but undone pizza (in a pan) to the other rack just vacated, and throw a new one on, repeat, et al. Not the best solution for a large crowd, but unfortunately, I'm the only egger in the the neighborhood, and my mini alternate just won't cut it in this case.
  • BBQMaven
    Options
    5 times I've started a "smart *#@ post and erased it... please, tell me about your handle... Your up to something?" B)
    Kent Madison MS
  • my guess (on the rotation idea) would be that you'd still get one 'new' pie on every 8 or so minutes, so at the end you'd really not be shaving off much time, if any, & you'd have a whole lotta problems along the way... also, its been my experience when making multiple pies on an assembly line that the time it takes waiting for each pie to cook is well spent building the next pie properly; of course a pie can be slopped together much faster, but taking your time & really paying attention to the process helps the final product a great deal.
  • Wazoo
    Options
    One time I was interviewed by a reporter and she asked a very stupid question, like "do you have plans to plans to evacuate in case of attack?," etc. My reply was (while looking at her like she was an idiot) "we have plans up the wazoo!" I was quoted...
  • BBQMaven
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Well, I knew somehow that body part would come up :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
    Kent Madison MS
  • Wazoo
    Options
    Thanks, folks. Here's an example of the pies we do at our house. Deep dish with string cheese rolled up in the crust edging to get the "stuffed crust" experience. Lots of toppings and sauce. Do it at ~425 for about 20-25 minutes. Think I'll stick to one-at-a-time and concentrate on "perfection." Take care.

100_1237.jpg
  • BBQMaven
    Options
    Wazoo
    Do you have any air space between the pan and plate setter?
    Kent Madison MS
  • Wazoo
    Options
    Nope -- direct contact. The dough is pre-made from Bartucci's pizza/Italian food chain. Smoke from some hickory chips to add some flavor to the cheese as well.
  • BBQMaven
    Options
    that amazing the bottom doesn't burn... the plate setter must be 600-700 degrees...
    Kent Madison MS
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    I just did four larges back to back about a week ago. 12-15 minutes each. No problems at 450-500 degrees.