Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: hummers

Options
TNmike
TNmike Posts: 643
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Earlier in the summer several of us that feed hummingbirds posted about our flock of hummers were way down this year. We had only had about 3 and maybe 4 until 3 weeks ago and noticed a few extras showed up for a couple of days and then left. Well they seem to have came back a week or so ago and brought friends!! Not sure of the count but the estimate is 10-12 but maybe more and seems to be increasing. They amount they eating is more than triple what it was. Too early for the start of the southern flight so no idea of why such a summer increase. Mike

Comments

• otisdog
    otisdog Posts: 187
    Options
    Ours came a little late this year too. now we have a yard full and the annual hummingbird wars are in full swing.
  • TNmike
    Options
    Yea, with only 3 or 4 there weren't many wars and it wasn't much fun. Most of the new guys and gals seem to be concentrating on 2 feeders we can see out the window from our kitchen table and the dive bombing is in full swing.
  • fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    Options
    Hey Mike
    My yard is full also, first noticed it about two weeks ago.
    sure am glad to see them back, late or not.
    here's one standaing guard, waiting on the next challenger
    IMG_0300.jpg
  • TNmike
    Options
    I've had so few I haven't gotten an pictures yet. Now that more are here maybe I can get set up and get one to hold still long enough for a pic.
  • kricks
    kricks Posts: 244
    Options
    I live in Atlanta and noted this spring that I had almost no hummers. I usually have 3 - 6 or more going at it.

Yesterday I saw my first one since then. Cleaned the feeders and made new food.
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Sorry Mike,I was confused :whistle: I thought that you meant these :laugh:

DSC_0044.jpg

DSC_0041-1.jpg
  • TNmike
    Options
    "Sparky" I understand they actually will pay you to drive one of those 'hummers'! :) And thanks to those that do!! I think I'm a little too old to sign up though. Also a little short on $$$ (well maybe a lot short) to buy one of the civilian versions. :laugh:
  • EggZactly
    Options
    They're late here in steamy, hot, miserable AL, but I have at least two now and witnessed our first "hummer dogfight" yesterday....
  • bitslammer
    bitslammer Posts: 818
    Options
    Late here too but feisty as ever. I have 2 feeders out and they have been claimed.
  • field hand
    field hand Posts: 420
    Options
    As I posted earlier in the year, we've had a normal count for the most part. About a month ago, the count dropped off from 6 to 8 at one time to about half that. Now it's back to the 6-8. As others have noted, they are a hungry bunch, I'm filling the feeders a lot more frequently. Good to see them back.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
  • ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    Options
    We have the same thing going on in MD. Hummers are going crazy!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    might be that a few neighbors stopped filling the feeders, if a feeder is out for a few days the hummers find a new one and sometimes they dont return to the one that was empty. one of our feeders was taken over by an orange oriole this year, it was the choice feeder for the hummers in the yard but they learned to frequent the feeder near the table instead, the oriole wont go near that one :)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    No hummers at my place in Houston yet, and I've had my 6 feeders out for 2 weeks.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    This is what it was like on September 16, 2009 here at the Chicken Ranch. Lots of entertainment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrXasHzMXKY

Had to keep adding food for 'em.

Spring "Hummingbird Chef" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    We seem to have the normal number but unlike many of you we only have 1 at a time and as soon as a second one shows up they do battle and fly off. It amazes me to see these pictures like Spring Chicken posts of masses of them all getting along!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.