Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

List of charcoal brands in Seattle area

Options
Gadfly
Gadfly Posts: 121
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just started using lump charcoal this summer and these are the brands I have found so far around where I live (Eastside Seattle):

Royal Oak: Wal-Mart, ~ $7 for a 10 lb bag
Cowboy: Home Depot, ~ $6.50 for a 10 lb bag
Frontier: Both Ace Hardware and Lowes. Lowes' is slightly cheaper.
Lazzari Mesquite: QFC has 15 lb bag for $12 but you can get a 40 lb bag from "Cash and Carry" for less than $14!
Wicked Good Charcoal: you can get it from Sutter Home and Hearth. It's not cheap (around $20 for a 20 lb bag) but at least you can try it without breaking the bank.

If you live around Seattle and know of another source of lump charcoal, please let me know. I like to try them all.

Comments

• EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Options
    I live here in So. Cal. and I had a friend pick up Lazarri Oak Lump from their factory. I paid $16+ for 40ibs. See if you can get that as well up there.
    How is the Frontier Lump ? Wicked Good Charcoal is the best that I have used. Too bad we don't have it down here and yes it is a bit expensive.
  • Gadfly
    Options
    I was very happy with Frontier. RO was great on Weber but seems to leave some after taste on Egg. However it could be the way I lit it so I need to experiment more.

Where do you get Lazarri Oak from? $16 for 40 lbs sounds a good deal.
  • NWester
    NWester Posts: 22
    Options
    Ace Hardware also has 20# Cowboy for 11.99. They usually only have a bag or two at the Crossroads Store.

Rich's for the Home had BGE, Wicked Good and one other brand that I don't recall, it's been a while since I've been in there.

I've been meaning to check Walmart for the Royal Oak, are you seeing it at the Renton Store? Probably a seasonal item around here, think they still have any around?

I'm on the Eastside also.
  • Gadfly
    Options
    I bought 10 bags of Royal Oak from Walmart Lynnwood a couple of months ago. Lynwood is closer to where I live. Make sure you check the outdoor section.

If you are at eastside, you may want to check cash and carry at Northup Way, like I said 40 # for $14 is hard to beat!

Cowboy is good but between Cowboy and Frontier, I prefer Frontier.
  • Scott in Seattle
    Options
    Just a couple of additions:
    The second brand of charcoal at Rich's is Ono.
    Conklin's Appliance in Lynnwood carries both BGE and Wicked Good.
    Sutter's also carries BGE.
    AND, the best recent news in the Northwest is that both Rich's and Sutter's now carries Dizzy Pig.
    scott
  • thailandjohn
    Options
    You get the Lazzari Lump at their plant in South San Francisco

They also have Orange Lump and many different kinds of chips an chucks at great prices

I buy chips at $43 for a 50lb sack and I divide up with my friends

On mynnext pick up from them, I will take some pictures of their place and post here.....it will blow your mind