Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt's been on since 8a.m.!! I'm getting antcy!

Options
usudno
usudno Posts: 32
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
6lb butt has been on the egg since about 8a.m. Its already at 160 internal. The egg has held steady right at about 240 degrees. I didn't expect the temp to rise that fast on the butt. I guess the plateau will make up quite a bit of time. I'm banking on being done for 8 p.m. or a bit earlier by the looks of it. This is my first butt. I sure hope its good. Pics soon to come.

Comments

• Frank from Houma
    Options
    12 hours for a 6# butt should be just fine. I would kick it to 250 - maybe it will finish an hour or two early so you can foil and put it in a cooler till you are ready to pull.
  • usudno
    Options
    From houma huh... My neighbors are there as we speak. They are the onese that will decide if this thing is good or not. I'm down in youngsville, near lafayette. Its still holding at 160 so i guess its doing its thing. I will not peek!! Now i'm just trying to find a nice stuffed pork tenderloin recipe. any ideas?? something simple.
  • RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    Options
    Just wait until it's been in the plateau stage so long that you think your thermometer is broken...that's when people get real antsy. ;)
  • usudno
    Options
    i think it made it past the plateau. Its slowly rising above 160. a degree every 30mins or so. lol. But isn't the plateau were the "magic" happens??
  • RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    Options
    You can sometimes have more that one plateau, and yes, this is where the magic happens. I'm sure you will have a good dinner.
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    Stuffed tenderloin huh. Try peaches, goat cheese, and pinenuts. Or you could go with spinach, Fontina, and a little garlic basil.
  • usudno
    Options
    Seems like a lot of La guys on here. Well its still at 165. I guess its still at the plateau :whistle: I think i've decided on a bacon wraped tenderloin with spinach richotta and diced tomatoes.

Now a little problem here. Temp is at 255. Vents are near completely shut. If the temp keeps rising will i have a problem?? Not sure why its still rising. It was stable at 240 since 8 a.m. Its just starting to rise. Not quickly. Say a degree or two every 20mins or so.
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    No problem at all. Vents should be almost completely shut. I have friends do butts all the time at 350, and they still come out good. Not as good mind you but good none the less. Don't open the dome too much as it is counter productive. While allowing the hot air out you are introducing a lot more oxygen which will heat itup even higher.

Sit back have a

purple_haze_glass.jpg

and relax. Plus it's too hot outside to do too much.
  • usudno
    Options
    i havn't opened it at all. Its killing me but i can handle it lol. How bout an abita amber!!! lol. Had the jacamode (sp) last night for a poker tourney and it didn't impress. I'm not an ipa guy. Can't beat the sam adams light :)
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    I'm not much of an IPA guy myself. Wife just bought a few of the new Pilsners, for the restoration and oil clean up. Hoping to crack one open tomorrow. Got a bad sinus infection and alcohol and antibiotics don't react too well together.

Spring Chicken and I are big fans of the Amber.

amber_bottle_six_pack.jpg
  • usudno
    Options
    I'll have to try the amber... say with pulled pork and stuffed pork tenderloin.... The wife is picking up the tomatoes bacon and beer as soon as she gets offa work. I'll be sure to snap a few photos. I just hope this thing is done closer to 6 then 8. I'm getting hungry looking at the temp.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Don't think of the plateau as a place where the temperature is perfectly flat. It's usually where the temperature curve flattens out from its quick rise of fridge temp to around 160* and before it takes off again to your final temp.

As has been suggested by someone else, I'd take the dome to 250* so you finish a little early and can let the butt rest in a cooler. From my experience, that makes a difference in the final product.
  • usudno
    Options
    temp has held steady at 253ish (dome that is) and the butt is at 168. Stayed in the 160s for nearly 3 hrs now lol.
  • usudno
    Options
    (in the voice of a teenage school girl) OMG! The pulled pork was awesome. Better then i could have imagined. Neighbors loved it. Total time was 11 hrs and 3 minutes. I nice bark and a great smoke ring and awesome flavor. i never even made it to the bread!!! Wife is munching on the tenderloin as we speak. Bacon wraped with richotta, spinach, and sundried tomato. All in all the pork feast was a hit. Thanks for all the help.
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    Great to hear, usudno. I understood your anxiety, this being your first butt cook and all, but you'll come to realize that pulled pork is one of the easiest and most rewarding cooks there is. It's almost impossible to screw up completely and very difficult to get even just so-so results with the Egg.

If you use store-bought sauce, let me recommend some made by a fellow Missourian: Blues Hog Tennessee Red. It's a vinegar-based sauce just perfect for pulled pork.
  • usudno
    Options
    it didn't get a chance to make it to any sauce. It was devoured. Next time i'll have sauce. This will become a staple for tailgating and football games. Next up.... BRISKET!!! I need help here.
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    Heh...I think my first briskets are still bolted to the underside of the space shuttle, having been determined by NASA to be orders of magnitude tougher than the ceramic tiles they took the place of. Going from butts to brisket, you'll be going from one of the easiest cooks to one of the hardest.

Don't get discouraged, though, it comes with experience. I've been doing my briskets mostly as pastrami the past few months...my family thinks it's the best thing I do on the Egg.
  • 61chev
    61chev Posts: 539
    Options
    I put mine on at 8am also and i have had it wrapped and resting for an hour I had the dome at 300 for 7 hours and thhe internal was 200 turn it up and let it cook