Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt ????

61chev
61chev Posts: 539
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This is a pic of my butt I put on at 8 This mornin the pic is 2 1/2 hrs in I would like to have it done for supper my Question is can I hurry along by setting the guru to 280 the butt weighs 7# don't want to ruin it just cook a little hotter
Thanks
butt.jpg

Comments

• BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    I'd think anything under 300 would be fine if you need to push it a little harder...

looking at the pic - DUDE, glad your not in the OCD gasket camp :laugh:
    Kent Madison MS
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    My last butt was a rushed butt (same day butt like yours). One tip- I waited too long to wrap in foil (I was in the 180 range). In the time it took me to open it up and wrap it and get it back I lost 10 degrees of internal temp. So then, I finally just gave up and pulled it once it got back to 180.

If you think you want to foil and blast I would do it around 160-170ish. Just my $.02.

Usually I do overnighters- 2 8ish #ers for 16-18 hours. The rushed butt was a little tough to pull and I had to pick out some fat, but my fam thought it was my best butt yet. Go figure.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• MCR
    MCR Posts: 270
    I notice that you have 3 temperature probes. Which unit are you using? or is it 2 different monitors.

I would like to get a 3 probes unit myself for 1 pit and 2 different meats...

Thanks
    Marc
  • Achate
    Achate Posts: 39
    Oh no - that must be me then, cause the first thing I thought was "OMG, look at that gasket! Noooo, clean it and the dome!". Then I saw the pork.
  • BBQMaven
    Reality can be a painful awakening! B)
    Kent Madison MS
  • 61chev
    I have the guru which has 2 probes 1 for grate temp 1 for the meat then i have another just cheap pyrex that tells the temp of the meat so I can moitor the plateau
  • 61chev
    yes I need to do a clean burn for the dome as for the gasket i am just gonna clean off the base and try it without any thats about what I have now anyway
  • BBQMaven
    I've not had much of anything you could call a gasket for years... yes it has a little leak or two, yes it might not shut down as quickly as some would expect, yes I have to gently close the lid because there is no "cushion" ... BUT, I enjoy my cooking much more than fretting over a stupid piece of felt :woohoo: B)
    Kent Madison MS
  • 61chev
    u got that right
  • BBQMaven
    here's what I mean about little gasket

DSC_0978.jpg
    Kent Madison MS
  • 61chev
    Thats a good lookin hunk o meat what is it?
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    I too have little to not gasket, it has not hurt my cooks in the least. Did Kalua pork last weekend, a 16 hour cook. It was darn good!
    LLLs70th007.jpg
    LLLs70th010.jpg
  • BBQMaven
    the previous pic was the second half of a 16lb plus brisket that I cut in half to see how it would cook out...
    started like this
    DSC_0940-1.jpg
    Kent Madison MS
  • BBQMaven
    that looks really good... how "technical" a cook is it? is it simple?
    Kent Madison MS
  • 61chev
    Just checked the butt 6hrs in dome at 300 grate 275 and 197 internal so it will be ready for supper for sure looks good thanks everybody for the support I will probably leave it for another hour to melt more fat then do the bone and fork test then wrap it for awhile
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Not techincal at all! Rubbed the pork butt in Hawaiian Sea salt (regular sea salt would be fine), then wrapped in banana leaves and smoked in a foil pan. I had an 8lb butt and it took 16 hours. This was my first time doing it this style and it was fabulous! It was very moist and earthy. I got the banana leaves at my favorite Hispanic market.

61chev, sounds like you are the clear. I'm sure it will be a great supper.
  • BBQMaven
    did the pan "drain" or did it cook in the drippings?
    Kent Madison MS
  • 61chev
    pan was for drippings roast on grate
  • 61chev
    Not sure if this qualifies for a turbo butt buit was pretty darn good 7# butt in just a little over 7hrs
    I set the guru grate temp at 280 which after it all settled in the dome stayed rifgt at 300 I used Penzey's America's bbq rub pretty heavy had a good bark
    I would say the pork was just a little dryer than when I had done them loner at 224-250 but still vas good
    While it rested in cooler I put on some bushes grillin beans with some rib meat and apple pie filling My wife made up some of her cole slaw Nice meal
    butt004.jpg
    butt005.jpg

six hours in
    butt002.jpg