Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork - Bark Question

Options
Pakak
Pakak Posts: 523
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Right off the bat let me tell ya I’m not from a geographic area where true BBQ is well known. Because of this, I’m shooting in the dark with how many things are “supposed” to be. Hey, if they taste good, it works for me.[p]I’ve always read a bark is highly desirable on a butt. Yup, it tastes good too. The thing I question is – what do ya do with it? It’s a bit dry compared to the inner portions of meat. Do you mix it in? Do you keep it separate and eat it separately? [p]There have been times where it really wasn’t very appealing to eat, being rather bitter. However I just pulled a butt that had the BEST bark I’ve ever tasted. It still was a bit dry to mix all of it in with the "regular" meat. I mixed the less dry portions in with the pulled meat and put the remainder on top of everything in a gallon baggie. My theory is the meat I pulled will pick up a bit of the taste of the bark AND I can still snack on it. LOL

Comments

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    Pakak,
    We mix the bark in. Of course by the time we are done pulling it there really isn't much left. I have even been known to pick out the bark pieces when I make my sammiches or plate. :-)[p]~nikki

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    nikkig,
    I too mix the bark in to enhance the overall taste. OTOH some of the bark is oftentime just too far gone or was really just the remains of the fat cap anyway. Any way you cut it pulled pork RULES!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Pakak, my wife does not like the bark in the pulled pork so I cut it off and put it into a separate container. That becomes MY snack for watching ball games. Pulled pork bark and beer! Can life get any better?

• wdan
    wdan Posts: 261
    Options
    Pakak,
    I like to literally pull the pork, but I finely chop most of the bark with a kitchen knife and mix it in with the pull. At the risk of turning this thread into an election poll, I sometimes opt for using water in my drip pan to help keep the outside of the butt from turning briquette-like. I've heard some of the purists say that you need "dry smoke" for real que, but I'm not totally convinced on this one. I've seen plenty of programs on the T&V where they go to famous BBQ restaurants and you see someone adding liquid in their smokers! I've wrestled with baby backs on and off with this same issue. Sometimes they're fine with dry smoke. Other times I wish I had used some liquid in the drip pan...Brinkman may be cheap, but fire and air in any vessel can get mighty dry.[p]So, with that said, who uses liquid and who insists on keeping it dry?

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    Wow! Ya mean there is no definitive answer? I really hadn't thought of chopping it finely and adding it back in. Sounds like a plan for next time.[p]Thanks for all the input.
  • Bob V
    Bob V Posts: 195
    Options
    Pakak,[p]Here in NC at some of the more famous BBQ places like Lexington #2, real locals and BBQ fans can ask for what they want. For example, when I go I ask for "Coarse chopped, outside," which translated to "hunks of bark". It is kinda like some folks liking dark meat and some white meat on a turkey. If you don't ask, you tend to get a bit of bark mixed in with mostly pulled meat.[p]Bob V